Sunday, January 9, 2022

Education


Long term friends are teachers and ranchers in Northwest Colorado. They well know hard work and overcoming adversity. She spent thirty years teaching from an extremely rural one room school to being a superintendent.  With her permission I’m posting something from her Facebook page.

Middle of the Night Musings: What wonderful benefits I have received from the high school education I was given. Back in the Dark Ages, 1960 -1964, when I was in high school, we lived in a small town surrounded by 3 military bases. This was during the Cold War when military numbers were rapidly increasing and so the population within the district was rapidly increasing. However, since the military bases were providing the bulk of housing for the people moving into the district and because the Federal Government doesn’t pay property taxes, there wasn’t enough money in the district coffers to build so many schools so quickly. Most of the funding for the schools came from the Federal Government in the form of “in lieu of taxes” funds. A little secret I’ve learned over the years is that with Federal money comes Federal strings. In the case of the schools, that was a good thing. The schools came well built, fully equipped, well-staffed with well paid teachers, and offering a broad educational opportunity in the offerings of classes, the number of clubs, sports, and other extracurricular opportunities. Not very many high schools had an aeronautics club which had its own flight simulator which was given to them by the Air Force Academy. (That was where I learned that I didn’t have the stomach for becoming an astronaut or even a pilot. I do mean stomach for it because I had a tendency toward air sickness). It was in Future Teachers of American that I confirmed that becoming a teacher was good choice for me. We were required to select a degree track and a minor track which determined the classes you took in order to graduate. The philosophy was that if you weren’t going to college, they wanted you to be able to go out get a job where you could support yourself build a future when you graduated from high school. I chose the college prep as a major and a business track as a minor. Besides stenography, office skills, and classes on using and maintaining the various office machines in use at that time, I had to take two years of typing. I really appreciate all the money and time, encouragement and experiences that I was given in my education to help me lead a fulfilling life; but what it now boils down to is that thanks for the 2 years of typing so that I can sit at my computer without a back lit keyboard, in the middle of the night, and type with enough accuracy that I can share my ramblings with others. If I start to type gibberish or have some typos, you’ll know that I got off line literally.

12 comments:

Greybeard said...

Funny/Odd-
I took "typing" simply because a girl I was interested in was in the class. I NEVER was able to type more than 35 WPM, hard as I might try.
(And the girl I was interested in was "going steady" with another guy and I never got to date her.)
But like riding a bicycle, the typing skills stayed with me and I think I may actually type more than 35 WPM these days!

LL said...

Two of my daughters teach elementary school in California. One teaches at a charter school and the other teaches at public school. They find teaching to be a rewarding education and do in-person learning. The Charter School never went remote because of plague. The other situation is disadvantaged third grade - English as a second language. Disadvantaged means ghetto and many children share a bedroom with siblings and cousins - many do not have a bed. The family has no computers for remote learning. They are not all Spanish-speaking children, some speak other languages. But they are grindingly poor.

It's a calling, WSF.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I took typing in high school for reasons that escape me now. I never got good at it. Army reception center they gave me a test. I think I did a glorious 30 wpm. Fast forward to Germany I got called into the Orderly Room to see the 1st Sgt (not an unusual event). He had my personnel folder in front of him.

"Says here you can type", he said. "The company clerk is AWOL and you have Secret Clearance. Until I get a new clerk, you are it. That is your desk over there". And that is where I spent the next four months. Can you say DA Form 1 and DA Form 1049?

LL
Agree, it is a calling for the best and a meal ticket for the mediocre.

drjim said...

I *still* type using the Hunt-and-Peck method, although I've gotten better at it over the years. SLW can blaze along at about 60WPM as she was on a "Business/Home Economics" track in high school.

The only boys that took typing in high school when I went were those going to be Doctors, Lawyers, Writers, and Teachers.

I can be a good teacher, but you'd better want to learn! I had some excellent teachers in high school, that could really light a fire in you. Grade was all Sister Mary Elephant and a couple of lay teachers. I got bored easily then, and although the school wanted to bump me up at least one grade, my Mom was dead set against it. She didn't want me to be regarded as a "freak", and just said NO. Twice, in fact.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The woman I married could type in excess of 120 wpm and make a 10 key adding machine could like a machine gun.

Spec - 4 said...

Morning Report and Request for Personnel Action

Greybeard said...

Son can type 400 WPM. At a job interview people were stopping by to just look at someone who could type that fast.
It makes my head swim to watch him.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

SP4
Correct. The 1st Sgt farmed out most of the drudge work to the other clerks in the company.

GB
I've never heard of someone typing that fast!

LSP said...

I'm with drjim. And maybe I'm wrong, but schooling seems to be worse now. Saying that, the local effort got my eldest graduated, which is a miracle and a good one.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Schooling is worse now. As an example, how many High Schools offer Latin, or other languages? Advanced math?

My youngest granddaughter is fortunate in attending a more traditional high school and started taking college level classes as a Sophomore.

Old NFO said...

More money, less education, and more 'administration'... And no more civics, shop classes, etc, but plenty of 'diversity' classes.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

OldNFO
I'm still using skills I learned in High School shop classes. College? Other than the aviation classes mainly resume fluff.