Friday, September 11, 2020

This One Is For LSP


LSP is an avid fisherman, and encourages me to fish. So far, I’ve resisted. A local pond, well stocked I’m told, is being drained so as to be fixed for erosion issues. Hence, there is no limit and very few restrictions for fishing this location.

My former employer is a dedicated fisherman and quite good. Seems he and a friend fished this pond on got skunked.

My problem with fishing is twofold. First, I’m not a big eater of fish. Second, my youth spent as a subsistent hunter. I fished the Yampa River for food. What I caught was soon on our table. The idea of catch and release makes no sense to me.

Intellectually, I can understand the appeal of fishing that draws people into the practice. It just doesn’t pull my personal chain.

Sitting in my storage shed is a well equipped tackle box (bought at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar value of the contents) and an expensive rod and reel that I paid (gasp) retail for one moment of weakness at Cabella’s.

Will the tackle box and rod/reel make it to one of my vehicles? Maybe, if I bored enough.

As always, YMMV.

10 comments:

drjim said...

If you go up to Bellvue, and fish the Cache La Poudre River just downstream of the Watson Fish Hatchery, you'll have very good luck. The in-laws tell me that some number of hatchlings get flushed out fairly regularly, and the big fish hang out there to get the little ones.

I used to fish a lot as a kid, and did a lot of ocean fishing when I lived in SoCal.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Appreciate the tip.

Howard Brewi said...

Catch and release? I don't play with my food!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Likewise.

RHT447 said...

Well, you could always try the technique used by Boston Legal's Denny Crane.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Not familiar with that.

drjim said...

https://youtu.be/9Mn49k9xoxU

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LOL Thanks

RHT447 said...

Actually, I was thinking of this one. Sorry, I couldn't find it in English, but you get the point--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgB5yEleDvM

Well Seasoned Fool said...

RHT447
Few are more demented that Steelhead fanatics.