Sunday, July 12, 2020

ATandT Sucks


For several years my cell phone provider has been Cricket. Not the best coverage but adequate for my need until they were acquired by AT&T. Since then the quality has declined.

 The staff at the local store has always been helpful dealing with this Latter Day Luddite grumpy senior citizen. That means a great deal to me.

Last month, with no notification, AT&T raised my bill $20.

Enter Comcast/Xfinity, the only internet provider for my building, sending out mail bait for service at a lower rate for seniors. Being cheap, I went to the local Xfinity store to check it out. I didn’t qualify.

The young man helping me out started talking about cell phones. I appreciate a good salesperson, and he was good. Seems their cell carrier is Verizon and they had a deal.

My autistic son in Seattle and I now have new 5G (whatever the hell that is) phones and my monthly bill is 46% lower, locked in for two years. Our combined data use is so trivial we will not exceed what the plan provides.

The company for whom I’m an agent provides a tablet with their proprietary software installed. Their carrier is AT&T. I seldom see more than two bars and uploading results is frustratingly slow.

Am I wrong assuming Ma Bell is AT&T? Ma Bell always sucked and AT&T faithfully keeps the tradition alive.  Pox on them.

12 comments:

LSP said...

I 2nd the Pox. And use prepaid T Mobile, they're pretty much rubbish too, btw.

We may have to go back to letter writing, runners and couriers on horseback.

More reliable, secure and far less annoying. Speed is a small sacrifice.

Old NFO said...

Yep, pretty much... That acorn didn't even bounce off the roots.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
We can use cursive and the new generation won't be able to read it.

OldNFO
That is a new saying for me - like it!

Fredd said...

Yes, we purged our AT&T accounts about 6 months ago, after having had some kind of relationship with them (bad ones) for the better part of 50 years.

Remember when Ma Bell wouldn't even let you own your own telephone? Circa 1985, that changed with the breakup of Bell Telephone, but the 'Baby Bells', to include AT&T continued their bad service to this day.

Our household had an AT&T landline, dedicated fax line, business line, all problem ridden through the years. We also had AT&T cell phone service. And to add more insult to our multiple AT&T injuries, our DirecTV service was bought out by, who else? AT&T.

We dumped all of these accounts. We haven't pad a dime to AT&T for over 6 months now. Life is good. Or at least better, now that AT&T is not robbing us blind every month.

Yes, I will add another pox onto the AT&T house. They soundly deserve it.

RHT447 said...

@Fredd--

Sounds like a plan. Would be interested to hear who you replaced them with, if you don't mind sharing that info here.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
I've heard horror stories about Sprint and others. Hoping for a better result.

Fredd said...

RHT: we got rid of fax and land line phones, obsolete technology, replaced them with cell phone and use scanning tech over the internet.

DirecTV: ditched them, old tech, satellite dish is still on our roof, AT&T said we could keep it, it's ours. Lucky us. Went with Hulu, streaming over the internet. Half the cost. We couldn't be happier with our service.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm 100% Internet and cell. May be one of the few who doesn't own a TV, don't want one, and seldom watch other folks TV. Also, don't do movies, in theaters or on a TV. Personal choice, not financial.

LSP said...

WSF, during the Indian Mutiny we used Greek. Natives couldn't read it.

My, how we've devolved.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
In my case, grudgingly. I'm so old I remember programming 80 column punch card sorters.(And resented doing that)

Flugelman said...

I worked in telecom as a second career for most of 25 years. Back then most folks take on Ma Bell was
"We don't care. We don't have to, we're the phone company."

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I remember that. There are always exceptions. 2003-2005 I organized 5 day car sales at many different locations in CO. Often the site was a vacant lot. We needed two phone lines, minimum. Rarely did I have a problem with the local techs getting service for us.