Sunday, April 1, 2018

Blue Moon

Visiting youngest son and family in South Carolina when I tried to tease my daughter in law.

Me:    "Seems I only visit once in a blue moon".
                       pause
FDIL:  "We can only put up with you once in a blue moon".

We had good roads and few traffic hold ups coming from Colorado. Hope the same is true going back.

I drive in Illinois only when I can't avoid it. Bad roads, 65 mph and revenue generating police every ten miles isn't my idea of a good trip. I have a route via Sikeston, MO to Wickliffe, KY and then Padauch and back on the Interstate. Unfortunately the Hwy60/62 bridge was closed. We ended up going into Illinois and Cairo, ILL. My oldest granddaughter freaked. Such a depressing place. I'm certain she won't enjoy it tomorrow either. Still, 15 minutes going via Cairo is better than two hours  via St. Louis proper.

Our rental Nissan SUV is comfortable and it is nice sitting up where you can see ahead easier. Not too happy with the 22 mpg but renting in a smaller city limits your choices.

My grand daughter is 22 and tech savvy. Amazing the things she can do with her smart phone and the electronics in the rental. Makes me regret, just a smidgen, being a Latter Day Luddite.

One shocking moment was seeing all these tall kids masquerading as my grand kids. Need to visit more often.

12 comments:

Ami said...

I'm glad you're having a good time. ::snort:: Blue Moon. I know it's out there, but it's always overcast here when one of those celestial events occurs.

I have a good relationship with my father in law, I think we bonded over humor in the beginning and it's never changed. Also because he has never interfered or attempted to... whatever I did/said in being married to his son and raising his grandchildren was never remarked on in a derogatory way. He's a good man.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

She is a good person.

LL said...

When in Sikeston, MO you must stop at "Lambert's - Home of the Throw'd roll". Seriously. It's worth the stop.

Coffeypot said...

Enjoy the family while you can. The do grow up fast and move on to never be seen again... unless they want something.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

When we were moving test mules around for Roush that was a favorite lunch stop. Excellent food.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Lucky to be in a self sufficient clan.

Momma Fargo said...

OMG. you have met your match. So funny!

Old NFO said...

Glad you are having a good trip!

Brig said...

It is amazing to see what the grandkids, most of whom are in their twenties now, can do with electronics. Problems only arise when I ask them to show me how to do something, and they do it so fast.
Enjoy them, they grow up & away way to fast.
Safe journey.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Me going up against the women in my extended family is like a high school football team trying to play in the NFL.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm enjoying it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The things they can do astound me.