Sunday, December 9, 2012

Revolvers Rule


Took the NRA Basic Pistol Course today. At the range, had the only revolver. One student wanted to shoot mine,  so I shot his highly modified and customized 1911 single action (sorry, didn’t notice the manufacturer). Had three failure to extracts.  Some of the other semi automatic shooters had problems. Stiff wind and about 22 degrees. Lots of chatter about ammo, temperature, etc.




I’ve owned my Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog Pug for about ten years. The piece is probably close to twenty five years old. It has been fed many different factory load and a few amateur reloads. Conditions have ranged from 100+ dry desert heat,  -30 degrees, and in rain. Every single time the trigger has been pulled with a live round in the cylinder, it has fired. Every time, without fail.

Active gunnies can work out the kinks in their semi autos. For the occasional shooter like me, wanting a reliable self defense piece, revolvers are best. As always, your mileage may differ.

A gunsmith added a ghost ring to help me aim with macular degeneration in my dominant eye.

12 comments:

Old NFO said...

If it works, there is NOTHING wrong with it... :-)

Anonymous said...

Had fun with you yesterday, Brother of mine. I agree about a "wheel gun" vs semi. The semi I shot was OK but would be my 2nd or 3rd choice of arms for self defense. HOwever, quality time with my brother made up for the few problems with armament.

Sisty

Scotty said...

"A gunsmith added a ghost ring to help me aim with macular degeneration in my dominant eye."

Proud to say, I'm old enough to remember when it was called a "peep site". ;-)

My Dad had a Springfield 30-06 that he customized and I now own. I was raised on a peep site because of that rifle. I remember in basic training, the others trying to shoot the m-16's and had never seen a peep site...they did poorly. I proudly wore my expert badge. Shooting expert also got me a weekend off!

Ya can't beat a revolver for reliability. But, I love to listen to gun snobs, in particular the 1911 crowd.

One semi auto I have is a KelTek P-11. I've put well over 200 rounds through it without an single FTF. The snobs call 'em "ghetto guns".

It was 250 bux brand new with two 10 round mags....I'll pass on those thousand dollar 1911's.

Plus KelTeks are made locally here and I love the opportunity to support our locals.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Agree with you on peep sights. The ghost ring on the Bulldog has a much larger diameter than a peep sight. Helps me to better focus on the front sight.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Sisty. Agree, but wish it was warmer. Also, Jan, the instructor, is truly a blond in the organization department.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Thank you. To each his own.

Scotty said...

I've never tried 'em but would a laser help you? I've thought about having one for the heck of it....but at hundred bux for a decent one, it keeps me at bay......yeah.....I'm a cheapskate!

Scotty said...

One more thing about the P-11 is it's size. One can carry it in your pocket and not have a print. Personally, I prefer and inside the waistband holster. Works great for me as I haven't tucked a shirt in my waist in tens years! I love retirement!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Just in the past year a handgrip laser has been available for the Bulldog. Saw one mounted at a gun show. Seems my meathooks cover it with my accustomed grip.

Still working on the holster problem as I wear suspenders, and not a belt.

Scotty said...

"Still working on the holster problem as I wear suspenders, and not a belt."

The inside the waistband holsters don't require a belt. But, it can be a problem with a tight waisted pair of jeans. One has to allow for the extra width of and gun a holster when buying clothes.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Will look into it; thank you. Now do you have a painless way to lose about 50 lbs?

Scotty said...

"@ Scotty. Will look into it; thank you. Now do you have a painless way to lose about 50 lbs?"

LOL, if I did, I'd lose 50 pounds! Yer typin' to a chubby diabetic!! I just happen own some pants and shorts from an even chubbier time....