Saturday, December 29, 2012

Keeping The Lights On


My employer services many mines, coal and others, with "hotshot" freight deliveries. Seems a large power plant will use up to 180 railcar loads of coal per 24 hours. Producing that coal is a huge undertaking.


This is one of the smaller mines in the Wyoming Powder River Basin.


Probably a good idea to  heed railroad crossing signals.


My #1 year around hazard.



My # 1 Winter hazard - blowing snow. During the day, the sun warms the pavement just enough to melt the blowing snow. Not enough to evaporate the moisture. Come night fall; black ice.



The secondary roads can be interesting.


A calm day in Wyoming. See the flags?



Not to complain; I get a decent check to do the work. My employer is among the best I've ever worked for.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

At least you 'know' the hazards... And pay attention to them!!! Stay safe!

Scotty said...

All the reasons you show above are the reasons I don't miss driving the big trucks!

The pictures also serve to edify my decision to move to Florida 12 years ago!!

Happy New Year my friend and keep the dirty side down!!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Made a trip yesterday to the same area; different mine. After dark, when I fueled in Cheyenne, it was 10 degrees. Sure felt that cold, Carhartt and all.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. You would think, knowing the hazards, I'd find something else to do.