Thursday, October 22, 2009

.44 Special Sight Modification




Macular Degeneration affects my right (sighting) eye. Thankfully, a recent exam shows it hasn't gotten worse in three years. It affects my ability to focus. A local gunsmith came up with a peep sight arrangement and I recently tested it. I was able to focus on the front post clearly with the target mainly in focus and the peep, while blurred, helped keep everything aligned.

Five rounds at a measured 25' with four solid hits and one grazing hit makes me think this will work. Before the peep I couldn't hit three out of five.

Practice is what is needed. With near zero availability of .44 Special, not to mention the cost, I am reluctant to use up my stock. My thinking now is a .22 revolver (Charter makes one) with a peep added. Also, having the gunsmith improve the front post - something better than paper white out. Suggestions are welcome.

I tried aiming using my left eye. Two hits, so much practice will be needed to go that route.

Some people think I am incredible cheap (paper plate targets among other things) while I prefer prudently thrifty. My personal standard for handgun use is to be able to make a body hit at parking lot distances. Seems I'm faced with spending some dollars.

The lint on the handgun is from the innocuous cotton drawstring sack I use for a range bag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frugal??? You holds seminars for Scots and Jewish Mothers.

Mary