Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Steamboat Story

 


Today would have been my mother’s 100th birthday. She was a feisty, gutsy woman who never backed down, ever.

I thought I might share one story.

When the town of Steamboat Springs was discovered by the trust fund snots and rapid growth started, traffic became a problem. My mother, who had moved on into real estate sales from the US Forest Service, ran for city council on a platform that Steamboat need traffic lights. She lost the election but remained a thorn in the side of one and all.

One day the city put up traffic lights at three intersections. Naturally, the townspeople ignored them. Then the Chief of Police pulled my mother over. The conversation went like this.

“Harriet, what is that in the over the street by the Space Station?”

“Oh, Ab! You put up traffic lights”.

“You didn’t notice us putting one up by your office?”

Dumb look. That is how my mother received the very first citation ever issued in Steamboat Springs, CO for running a red light.

As he was delivering the citation, Chief Ab Ritter said, “Sometimes Harriet, I just love my job”.

13 comments:

drjim said...

HAH! A slice of real Americana, right out of The Andy Griffith Show!

Old NFO said...

Oh wow! I'm betting she had 'words' with somebody over that... LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
She made and impact and left a legacy.

Old NFO
I was long gone when this happened but Sisty might have something to add.

Sisty said...

If I remember correctly, she grumbled about it for awhile (never liking to spend money unnecessarily) and then paid the ticket. She knew the lights were up after that however.

Coffeypot said...

Sounds like you are the apple that fell from the tree.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Grumbled?

CP
That is apt.

Ami said...

I love this story. I can see my grandmother Fern in the attitude you described in your mom. Never back down.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
She was a child of the Great Depressions and knew poverty as a child.

LSP said...

Great story.

Vaguely on topic, my Great Grandmother and Grandmother were driving through Midland TX in the Depression and stopped at an intersection. A ragged man ran up to the car to rob them. She pulled a revolver from her glove compartment and he ran off.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you.

Age 5, witnessed my mother chasing off a hobo with the household Winchester .30-.30.

Wild, wild west said...

There were giants in the earth in those days, mighty WOMEN of renown.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

W.W.W
5 foot nothing, 95 lbs. Played like 6'4" 300 lbs. Formidable!

Sisty said...

Attitude of a Banty Hen.