Friday, February 25, 2022

Community Leaders


Jim and Jo Stanko, Steamboat Springs, CO are among my oldest friends. They are truly pillars of their community. Jim was a year behind me in high school. Never an athlete at 5’4” and maybe 110 lbs, he assisted coaches. We were in Boy Scouts and Junior NRA together. His father was a rancher and Jim eventually ended up with the ranch.

Jim tried to join the military but was turned down. He then attended Western State College, Gunnison, CO where he met Jo. They both became teachers, married, and started their teaching careers. Their first school was on Piceance Creek, Rio Blanco County CO that was a combination two room school with attached living quarters for the teachers. 9/16/69 Project Rulison, the underground detonation of a 40 kiloton nuclear device 5,000’ underground occurred nearby.

Then Uncle Sam came calling. Jim passed his draft physical and was drafted. He was not thrilled. His AIT was Artillery, probably the smallest cannon cocker to pass through Ft Sill. He was then sent to Germany.

Jim asked my advice. I suggested once he was settled he approach the battalion Sgt Maj with, “Sgt Maj, I would like to introduce myself. I’m married, have a Masters degree, and can keep my mouth shut”. Soon after he was the Colonel’s M151 driver. Jo was able to join him where she taught school and they had a good time in Germany.

After his father’s death, he took over the ranch. Jo started teaching school and eventually became the Elementary School Principal. Jim is interested in history and has written several books on local history. He is a pillar of the local library, American Legion, and the Cemetery Board. For decades, he was a prominent Democrat although not running for public office. He would have been a elected had he run.

Jo became a prominent member of the Colorado Cattlewomen and served in various offices. She is active in many of the advocacy needs of the agriculture industry and has been or is currently on various boards and committees.

They have kept the ranch going despite the insane real estate values of the “Boat”. For tax purposes, they had the ranch enrolled in the historic (100 years old) state program. Still a working ranch, Jim’s son is now doing much of the ranch work.

These are two people who, in my opinion, exemplify good citizens. Like all of us, they have their weaknesses and have struggled with the dark side. What they have never lacked is honesty and integrity. I’m proud they still consider me a friend.

9 comments:

drjim said...

It's good to have friends like that.

Greybeard said...

You had me until I read "democrat".
I'm sorry, the idea that they boo'ed God some years ago...
That they have "abortion rights" as part of their party platform...
WHO can stomach that?
Stay friends with them WSF. Maybe, just maybe, some of your common sense will rub off.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DRJIM
Agree.

GB
There are many of us who were Democrats for years. In my case, no longer after the Lightbringer made Eric Holder Attorney General. Where the Stankos stand I don't know and haven't discussed politics with them for years. I doubt they support the current insanity of the (P)regressives who have hijacked the party.

Years ago I was challenged to define the difference between Republicans and Democrats. My response, "We have this pie. The Republicans are focused on how the pie is divided. The Democrats are focused on making sure there is a pie".

Greybeard said...

I'm sorry.
My response would have been "democrats want to CONTROL who gets pie."

Well Seasoned Fool said...

No problem.

Sisty said...

Which one of us is going to buy the book first?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Good question.

drjim said...

If you're ordering them, I'll take one!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DRJIM
I think many communities have "Stankos", just under the radar.