Sunday, December 27, 2020

Negotiations

 

“You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before.” ― Rahm Emanuel

 Slo Jo and Ho are calling for unity and “Healing”. What that means is the “loyal” opposition putting up a token fight while going along with whatever they want. A convincing show is required.

In business negotiations, you should put in items you can live without or not even want. Your party (or parties) on the other side of the table object vehemently. After a suitable period of dancing around, you give in and they have their “victory”. You have what you wanted from the start.

At the rarefied heights of Congress, the process is more devious as too many other parties must be deceived, as in the general public and vested interests. The “show” is everything and the McConnells and Schumers of that world are masters of the game.

On the other side, you have President Trump, perhaps the very best negotiator ever to sit in the Oval Office. He sees through clearly what is intended to swindle the rest of us.

I sold hundreds of cars at retail using this basic business tactic. Why did I use it? For the same reason more sophisticated variants are used in congress; it works!

So, WSF, what is your point?

We are at war with China, their version of the Soviet’s Cold War. COVID-19 is one weapon. Bribery and corruption is another. They may believe they can absorb the current economic blows better than the West can absorb the financial and social chaos caused by this “pandemic”.  Stealing the Presidential election is the last big push. Think of it as our Stalingrad.

This current COVID-19 Stimulus Bill shows how the negations work. I’m not smart enough, nor have access to the insider knowledge, to see what is there to toss out so what is wanted remains. Who will be the winners and who will be the losers (other than the public)? What further erosion of our civil liberties is buried in it (the devil is in the details)? My conclusion? We’re fucked.

Not only are we at war with China, we are living the Chinese curse, “May you live in interesting times”.

As always, YMMV

On a personal note, will be touring the wild lands of the Nebraska Panhandle Monday and Tuesday on business. I’m hoping the weather is decent. From personal experience I know driving can be a challenge. For that reason Enterprise will be furnishing the vehicle (complete with damage waiver). While always the cheapskate, there are times spending a couple of hundred makes sense.

 


9 comments:

RHT447 said...

Yes, we are at war with China, and their proxies here.

+1 on the damage waiver. I also like Enterprise for their namesake.

LL said...

Are you sure that it won't be snowing Monday & Tuesday? Exercise caution on slick roads.

As to the future, we have a lot of problems.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

RHT
Enterprise is the only game in my town. I admired Jack Taylor, the founder and his business practices. The current local management (or their bosses) have used the Chinese flu as an excuse to cut back services. One that pisses me off is no after hour drop offs.

LL
Show must go on. I spent three winters driving the roads in that area as a medical courier. If the roads were open, we went. Slick roads plus driving where the deer and the antelope play is the reason I pay the $18-$25 damage wavier.

My concern, which I'm sure you share, is the future my grandchildren and great grandchildren will live in. I've already beat the actuary tables.

drjim said...

Yep, the dealerships always tried to force the pinstripes, Scotchguard, and Poly Paint Protector on the unsuspecting.

I don't have to say it, but I will....be careful out there. Looks like Winter has decided to stop by for a few days again....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
My principal one was a low-ball on the trade and an inflated monthly payment and/or down payment. The rust and dust + choke and croak I left to F&I.

Old NFO said...

That it does. Drive safe... Re the other, I REALLY don't want to do this again!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Does any of us?

Greybeard said...

Control information- control the people.
LOTS of evidence of fraud, but no one who can fix the problem seems to care.
Are we lost?
Sure looks like it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I have ideas. with my age and level of physical fitness, the most I can offer is sideline support.