Saturday, May 5, 2018

Abort! Abort! Return to Base


Just a few miles into the trip to Maybell, CO a portion of the trailer separated from the frame. The previous owner had “fixed” this once.

The trailer, made in Denmark in 1958, has seen some hard miles.

Channeled my inner ranch kid and secured the trailer to the frame with a ratcheting tie down. Gave some thought to continuing but decided the prudent action was to return to base. Shocking, I know.

 WSF being prudent!

Will miss seeing all the clan. Won’t miss all the, “Hi. Is Colleen (my sister) with you?” A not too subtle reminder of my place in the clan favorite matrix.

Maybe next year.

One of my buddy Santa Claus' sons is an oilfield welder. Paul will have him look at it and see what can be done. Decision time.

Damn, I have a lot of challenges with RV’s.

While I was futzing around in a turn out area, a man came up and made a welfare inquiry. Said they saw me on my back and were concerned. Nice of them, I thought.


It has been so long since I’ve rigged a ratcheting tie down, after five tries, I got out the instructions.

Damn, frayed the corners of my man card today.

16 comments:

Ami said...

Well crap. Definitely smart to turn back. Sorry you missed out on family time, though.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm disappointed. Just hope I don't end up going to several funerals this year. Last year was too much. Much rather see them in person!

drjim said...

No "truck repair" or farm equipment repair place that could have welded it for you?

Damn shame to miss the gathering....

LL said...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You had no choice but to abort and make it back with the weary trailer. However, you COULD have turned around and tent camped. Yes, you'd have been miserable, but the relatives could have seen you miserable and they'd have had something to talk about and carry them over. (I'm projecting my relatives' reaction on you)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Slim chance on a Saturday.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've slept in the back of the truck many times. My relatives give me shit, and will continue until I start bringing up their misadventures. Finding a safe place to drop the trailer was my major concern.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I think you made the right call! And a little fraying of the card gives you character, lol.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Some close to me think I'm too much of a character, just saying.

Coffeypot said...

Glad the folks checked on you while you were on your back. I would think that all the cussing would have kept them at arms leangth ready to run.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ya think?

Old NFO said...

Smart move, IMHO. Not worth the chance of a bigger problem!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Spent about thirty minutes running scenarios in my head. Prudence won out.

Mike_C said...

Sounds like you made the smart/prudent decision.

>A not too subtle reminder of my place

My friend Peter is known to his (Greek) countrymen by his birthname of Petros. Through Peter I met a number of Boston-area Greeks in the medical and dental rackets. Whenever I run into a particular one of them (this would be YOU, Nick, not that I'm naming names or anything :-), I am greeted effusively with: "Mike! Wonderful to see you again. So, how is Petros doing?"

I actually look forward to running into Nick, not only because he's a genuinely nice guy (after we get The Petros Update taken care of we have a pleasant conversation), but also to see how long the TPU streak lasts. It's been a good 20 years so far.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Spoke to my sister this morning. She said people kept asking her if her brother was with her.

Brig said...

Wise decision, and a little fray on the ol card is better than no card at all.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'll be hearing about it from the 30+ relatives there for years to come.