Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Minor Rant


Numerous past poor financial decisions mean I am still working for wages into my seventh decade.

Three days a week I drive through the valley of frustration (and potential death) called Sugar Valley, US 26 from Gurnsey, WY to North Platte, NE. Luckily I can turn South at Scottsbluff and head South on Highway 71.

The drivers who live in Goshen County, WY and Scottsbluff County, NE are horrible. Either they are bumbling along below the speed limit or are following you two car lengths back.

Blinker fluid must command a premium these tight asses won’t pay. Pulling out on the highway with no regard for the speed of oncoming traffic may be a birthright.  Slowing way down a mile from where you will turn off is necessary so you can adequately view neighbor’s crops and livestock.

Going South on Highway 71 is easier. Little traffic and four lanes help. By the time I reach the Kimball County line (where people know how to drive) my blood pressure drops out of the stroke range.


My advice? Note the county prefixes on the header pictures. If, anywhere in these United State you see one, go on high alert!

14 comments:

Ami said...

I'm snickering here... this is a GOOD rant. And I went, 'Ohhh, kinda like the VL for Delta County in Colorado!! VL stands for Very Lousy driver.' :-D

I've done a lot of driving. Lots of large metro areas, Houston, San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Salt Lake, Las Vegas etc... but I have never seen more stupid people on the road than right here in Portland Oregon. Oh. Except for Seattle. Those people are fucking maniacs.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Have driven all those roads and lived in the Seattle area. Can't disagree with anything you said. Special note about SLC. Many of the Saints are driving like they are on the way to meet their maker, IMO.

LL said...

BUT is it worse than Little Saigon in Orange County, CA? That is the question. Because in Little Saigon they drive in the same way as they (and their parents) drove in Old Saigon - now Ho Chi Minh City.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Have you experienced Hong Kong Chinese in Vancouver, BC?

Momma Fargo said...

haha. Funny. Of course I would have to agree with your assessment. Only thing worse is those green plates. snork

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Greenies? Surely you jest!

LL said...

Yes I have - same/same, G.I.

Old NFO said...

I can only admire you for putting up with that! And surviving!!!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

It is a bi-monthly direct deposit. We have one driver who does a round trip from Cheyenne to Rock Springs six days a week.500+ miles on I-80. Large concentrations of crazy drivers in big rigs mile after mile plus Elk Mountain in the winter. My route is probably the fourth hardest our company runs.

Fredd said...

Bad drivers are everywhere, Fool. Some places have worse drivers than others. Worst drivers ever:
* Italy, Rome in particular, but the rest of that smelly country is not much better.
* Boston, MA. Terrible drivers, just God awful, the lot of them.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Yes, bad drivers everywhere but I'm keeping my bitching close to home for now.

Nate said...

My kinfolk in that neck of the woods typically aren't in a big hurry ever. Have you tried Buttermilk Road just west of Lingle? There are a couple of corners that require a slow down but it will dump you on to the Van Tassell Highway a little north of the Torrington Hospital. Then there is the Huntly Highway (92) that would let you avoid Henry, Morril and Mitchel. It has been 20 years since I've been on these but they were decent roads back then. You do have a higher chance of meeting a large piece of machinery at certain times of the year.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thanks for the tips.

Nate said...

Brain fart Buttermilk is between Lingle and Torrington thus East of Lingle.