Thursday, April 9, 2015

Business Manners


“The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you need to kiss tomorrow.”

Author unknown

Good business manners, like good manners in general, seem to be a thing of the past. Maybe it is my age speaking; grumpy old man.

A recent example is my decision to end my job delivering from the pharmacy to care centers. I’m too busy with other (more profitable) endeavors. I sent a polite message to the manager giving him reasonable time to find someone else. No response, thank you, no thank you, go to hell or whatever.

One of the companies I do property inspections for hasn’t been sending me much work. I know they are struggling. Recently they “upgraded” their system. Installing it on my computer will take as much disk space as Google Earth. I made the decision to drop them and sent them a polite email. Once again, no response.

About a month ago the management of the delivery company changed the way they pay us contractors,  with no prior discussion. Sort of a “take it or leave it” situation. Am I the only one that remembers the Laws of Adhesion from Business 101?

The stronger party cannot dictate terms and conditions detrimental to the weaker party. In my case they backed off.

I've always tried to use good business manners. Running late? Make a call. Can’t make an appointment? Make a call. Now we have cell phones, there really isn't an excuse not to MAKE THE DAMN PHONE CALL. Show some respect for the other party’s time.

The best example of the benefits of excellent business manners I know of is my sister, the Insurance Adjuster. A lifetime of good manners and treating everyone with respect and consideration has given her a vast network of people inclined to help her. Who else could get someone to cheerfully open an impound yard at 2 am on Sunday in a raging Wyoming blizzard?


Ah hell, enough of this rant. I'm really becoming an old fart.

6 comments:

Scotty said...

One of the best manuals I read as a sales person was Og Mandion's The Greatest Salesman in the World. It should be mandatory reading......

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Agree. There was always a copy in my "possibles".

OldAFSarge said...

You're absolutely right WSF, the lack of civility and manners these days is appalling. I don't get it, is parenting a lost art. Who raised these people? Wolves?

(From another old fart.)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

My offspring have decent manners until someone is rude to them. As to wolves, I think you are being unfair. How about the manners of a starving piranha?

Momma Fargo said...

Excellent advice. Along the lines of don't burn any bridges unless you never intend to cross them again.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You burn bridges to keep people from following you.