Sunday, July 29, 2012

Made Redundant, Obsolete, and Not Needed


Car lots and balloons seem to go together. Can’t have a big sale without balloons.

During my time in the business, I was the balloon master. From filling to properly attaching them to vehicles, I had a plan for every step. Nobody could organize the effort better. Nobody could do it faster (as long as we made Cliff stay inside).

Now someone has come along and wiped out my specialty. Not that I want back in the car business, but, in the back of my mind, I took comfort in knowing I had one stellar skill. Alas, all gone now!



http://www.balloonbobber.com/ 

Damn progress!

One day I was handed a “heat” telephone call. Some female Subaru driving resident of the Peoples Republic of Boulder who was irate because she had seen the crew letting the balloons go at the end of the day. My response, “We don’t waste them. We gather a bunch and tie them to a prairie dog,” didn’t sooth her. Oh, well. She probably wasn’t a prospect for a Powerstroke anyway.

10 comments:

Ami said...

I have noticed those 'balloons' around our local area. They look like beach balls.

How did you catch the prairie dogs to tie the balloons to?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Ami. We didn't. I lied to her. Imagine that, a car salesman fibbing.

Old NFO said...

LOL, loved the closing line! :-) And that would work, nice moving target; as long as downrange was clear! :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Our service manager was a goose hunting fiend. The geese would fly low overhead. We always told him they were giving him the finger.

One day he couldn't stand it any longer and shot a goose (in a safe down range direction). The goose hit the top of a storage trailer and fell behind it. When he walked up on the goose, a large hawk had it and wasn't about to give it up. One of the more entertaining events that month. Ever see a hawk fight the butt stock of a shotgun? The hawk decided to give up.

Prairie dogs we poisoned.

Scotty said...

One of my favorites has always been when they have the car hoods open and stack huge letters under the hoods that usually spell out SALE!

Having been in Florida for about 13 years I've noticed that they don't seem to be that creative here as I have seen in the northern regions of the states. It seems very low keyed here.

One Hyundai sales lot owner stands out....he always finishes his ads with..."we'll beat any price" and then makes the point with the 'ol finger guns!.....I wouldn't buy a balloon from a finger gun guy.

One other thing.....why to they think that everybody loves and think having having their kids in the commercials is a cute thing?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Those signs are tricky. Also, having hoods open. Good gust of wind, lift the hoods up, and they fall on the prop rods denting the hoods.

Dealers do crazy things. Maybe the most famous is Cal Worthington and his dog "Spot".

http://www.mydogspot.com/

A classic commercial is one from live TV with no editing available at the time. My buddy Dirty Al worked for this dealer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkr5SOxjih

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6BksCzTKs&feature=related

Kids in the commercial is usually an ego trip. The man I worked for the longest had his name on everything. While he wasn't lacking in self esteem, he wanted every customer who thought they had a problem to have a name to call. He was quite sincere about it.

Scotty said...

I've seen Cal at work and great clips you gave me. I hate to sound like an old fart when I say....oh for the good 'ol days!

Problem nowadays, there's just so many folks out there that can't wait to be offended about something!

Scotty said...

Tripped across this one while watching yours....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEfBd8UTP-A

Scotty said...

One more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48HTxtjFdk

You've created a monster. Typing in used car salemans at youtube I've found HOURS of entertainment! Thanks!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Good. Better to watch than to live it, believe me.