Monday, July 9, 2012

Testing, Testing


Post over at CI-Roller Dude about how he went about hiring cops brought back these thoughts.

http://ci-roller.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-hire-cops.html

Once was responsible for hiring new sales people. The organization used an aptitude test based on the premises of like will produce like. You give a standard test to, say professional ditch diggers. You then give the same test to applicants. You look for those who most closely answer the question the way current ditch diggers answer the question. If  95% of presently employed ditch diggers think you should serve red wine with fish, a candidate who says white wine with fish isn’t qualified.

The requirement was to immediately hire ten people and get them working. Personnel (now Human Resources - I date myself) were out of their tests. Out with WSF’s sure fire test.

About 30% of the top salespeople I’ve met are left handed. Very few top salespeople have good hand writing. Most can’t add a long column of figures without chewing on the pencil eraser.

My test was to dictate a few lines for them to write down. Next, several two and three digit numbers to add.  During the interview process, we had established they could think on their feet, hold and process basic information, and speak clearly. The dictation showed they could follow instructions. If they passed the interview, had horrible hand writing, and struggled to add columns, they were prime prospects. If they were left handed, that sealed the deal!

Laugh if you will. My hires out performed all other candidates in the other regions by far.

Alas, Corporate America couldn’t cope with me, and I wouldn’t bend. That’s why I always ended back in commissioned sales, smaller companies, where it is, “March or Die.” If you can’t lead, then you best get the hell out of my way,  I am not going to fail because your wimpy ass is in the way.
(and don’t subject me to Kabuki Theater meetings)

I rather admire people who can work effectively in large organizations. I most certainly don’t look down on them. Instead, it is understanding and seeking out the environments that allows me to thrive, that shaped my erratic career path.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That & playing well with others.

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Sisty. You may have a point.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO has left a new comment on your post "Testing, Testing":

I did the same thing when I managed a company... "I" did the interviews, and HR hated me for it...

Once again, GMail and their tabs. Aarg!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Other than Accounting, no one defends their "turf" like HR.