Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Starbucks

My young friend at Why Worry, Its All OK likes this story and suggested I post it.

Disclaimer: I do not now nor have I ever liked the taste of Starbucks coffee. Or espresso.

I was living in the Seattle area when the espresso coffee fad took off. As an investor, I took a long and detailed study of the trend, used my college training to work up business models, and concluded the business wouldn’t be profitable. That tells you how smart I am.

My business travels weekly involved using the Washington State Ferries. Depending on the route, I had thirty minutes to an hour to myself. Pre cell phones and no public phones on the ferries, I could only be bothered by my pager. My routine was to hit the galley, get a cup of coffee, find a table, and catch up on paperwork undisturbed.

Starbucks first major success was getting the exclusive on the ferries’ coffee business. I hated the stuff and have always resented Starbucks (yeah, irrational. No one who knows me well thinks I’m wrapped tight). Went back to the whole thermos hassle.

The current uproar about open carry, and Starbucks taking their stand, makes me want to support them. How, when I can’t stand their product?

No comments: