Thursday, September 24, 2026

Will El Nino Save Us?

 

Severe Drought

The current  picture. By available capacity, Blue Mountain Reservoir is Colorado’s largest. The dam was built at the head of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. 

The monsoons that have blessed Arizona have finally shifted towards SW Colorado. It is probably too late for most of the fish.

Your Mental Image vs Reality

OK, you are an insignificant octogenarian keyboard warrior. No need wasting a spot at the re-education camp; just block internet service.  

Wyoming Strong

Blocked from West Coast ports by bad politics? Find another port.

MORE

Already smugglers are eyeing all those empty coal cars headed north.

We need Steve Inman to make a FAFO video with this fool.

MORE

OK, Emperor Polis, I will give you one atta boy

Ignore the smug econazi verbiage and virtue signaling in this article, this is something I can applaud.

MORE

Pollinators are crucial to most of the growth of much of the food we eat.

What is my personal dog in the fight? A large spoonful of raw unfiltered honey in a cup of coffee starts my day. Local sourced. $70 a gallon direct from the beekeeper.

MORE

I appreciate their integrity by charging me retail. Local shopkeepers are lax in keeping what I want in stock. Clark’s keeps faith with their wholesale customers.

Yawn, Colorado Politics

Colorado has a “robust” citizen initiative process. The idea is to place laws on the ballot for voters to decide (unless the (P)regressives don’t like them or the courts don’t approve, same thing – WSF sarcasm). Somewhere around 13 will be on the midterm ballot depending on where you live. One, favored by (P)regressives may have shortcomings. No problem, Jabba the Hut’s daughter is Secretary of State.

MORE

Rules for you and rules for us. Move on, nothing to see here.

Should you still be interested, here is a conservative think tank analysis.

MORE

When the Little Head Thinks for the Big Head

You may need to scroll down. Facebook!
MORE

While the county has blue enclaves, the county remains conservative.

Car Story

Revenge is a dish best tasted cold.

One rainy afternoon Sound Ford, Renton WA had a lake growing at the North entrance due to a plugged storm drain. Redwood “beauty bark” was popular at the time and was sovereign for blocking storm drains.

I was wearing a trench coat and hat while working to unblock the drain when a driver deliberately moved over and completely soaked me with a wave of dirty water from his tires. Hah hah!

I was able to look around in time to see a very distinctive vehicle, a  Dodge Lil Red Express complete with the optional wood sideboards. While I didn’t get the plate number I did note it was a personalized plate.

My joy was great when I drove by the Denny’s Restaurant down the street twenty minutes later on my way home to get dry clothing. Sitting in the parking lot was the very same truck! Not now Tonto, that is a local, you have seen it around, and timing is everything.

About two week later the owner came out of a bar at closing time, rainy night, to find all four tires flat. Unless he had four spare valve stem cores, the tires stayed flat until the morning when the parts store opened.

A note on tactics. Step one, open the cores just enough to let out the air with minimal noise. Step two, return in 45 minutes to finish removing the cores after the tires were completely deflated. After step two, leave!

As always, YMMV

 

16 comments:

Wild, wild west said...

With any luck, he had some sweet young thing in tow when he came out of the bar. Ooooopsie!

So, all those west coast port jobs are now in Meh-hi-co. Perhaps the stevedores can take some comfort from this old John Prine song from 1971.

"Paradise"
And Daddy, won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County?
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I still get the warm and fussies think of scenarios he encountered.

Relatives operate a 3rd generation longshoremen service in Portland (they all live in WA across the river). When the Antifa b.s. started in Portland Antifa made one pass at the Longshoremans Hall and never tried again. From what my relativesd tell me, the lonshoremen (and women) detest (P)regressives and what has happened. How things change from starting as a key part of the IWW to voting for Trump.

drjim said...

"Two Steps To Stealth"!

Maybe LL could make a book title out of it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Spec operators do KISS?

Wild, wild west said...

I forget, but wasn't it the export grain terminal in Portland a few years ago that had a ship magically come unmoored and went "Free Willy" down the Willamette River?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I can't remember but likely. Of interest, because of the Columbia River Bar, bulk ships take on part of their load in the Portland area then go to Seattle to top off. The terminal on Elliot Bay has 300' under keel at low tide.
Years ago a politican proposed a tunnel under the Cascades to divert the Columbia into Puget Sound and, "Make Portland an interior city as God always intended". The response from down South was, "The NFL won't let us have a professional football team because, then, Seattle would want one".

Wild, wild west said...

Can't find a reference to the loose boat........must have dreamed it or confused Portland with someplace else. Oooopsie!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

That happened around 1990. My relative's company (https://portlandlines.com/) had secured the lines; the crew aboard hadn't. A tug in the vicinity nudged the ship into another berth where it was properly secured. This per my Aunt Elsie Heuerman whose family owns the company. Side note. With the passing of her husband my aunt took over the company, brought in four of her daughters, and the company became the sole female owned company on the West Coast. Among lonshoreman she is, respectfully, known as "That Woman".

Wild, wild west said...

VERY interesting story! Thanks muchly for that. I'd have bet good money it had happened and was vexed when it didn't come up.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Your welcome. A cousin was on her very first shift as a dispatcher when it happened. All was quiet so her trainer went home. Next time I see any of them I will ask for the date and the ship's name.

Old NFO said...

Yep, vaguely remember that incident too. But I heard about it through the USCG briefing. District Eleven, I think.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

It was news all over but used as a lesson learned.

Jersey Joe said...

God bless the four Brave Men for saving the lives of 174 passengers of FLYDUBai plane.
Yaniv Hayun grabbed the controls, Assaf Rajuan and Zvika Manes helped restrain the suspect, dentist Shota Musaev treated the stabbed captain, and passengers say the wounded pilot left them a path into the cockpit
Do not forget to mention the true hero here - the Indian Pilot. Had he not opened the cockpit door in spite of being critically hurt, none of the following actions would have taken place. The bravery of the Israeli passengers are something to remember, of course.
These Islamic Terrorist’s are hear to kill us, It’s scary to go anywhere, you never know when it will happen to you or your family, Deport, Deport, and the many thanks to Ice. May God Save America and our Kids and Grandchildren, Thank God for these Men, And God Bless America, and Israel. And lets not forget the thank ICE for their incredible work.

Yvette said...

Let’s be honest. Donald Trump is a tough man. He can be blunt, outspoken, and unapologetic. But in my lifetime, no one has fought harder for the heart and soul of America. So As I said lets be honest and call it as it is. You Socialist Americans don't realize how good you have it now. And with these Muslims who are trying to infiltrate our Political system, we must Not Allow them to be successful.

yvette said...

Lets Remember that Not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim. “

Jo said...

I feel like a 9/11 style plane hijacking on its way to Israel should make the news. I think a plane hijacking should be treated as horrifying no matter what your politics are. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case.
As a leftist, I don't watch left leaning media when it comes to anything to do with Israel or the war against the Islamic Regime in Iran. Why not? I might be a “Leftist, but I’, not Stupid!. It's 95% bullsh*t, it's disingenuous, and it's often lazy reporting.
Also, I haven't seen MeidasTouch or that Jackass Hasan Piker or any other people on the left talk about this at all. They're too busy kissing the Islamic Regime's ass , I guess and obsessing about hating Trump. Which, same on the Trump thing but I also have more than 2 braincells so... I can compartmentalize like an adult. Besides, I like Trump, and I voted for him. Because my former party has truned Crazy!
An the Omani co-pilot stabbed the FlyDubai pilot. The pilot still managed to open the cockpit door, which allowed for passengers and other pilots to enter the cockpit. Without this, the plane would have crashed. No one would have been able to get inside the cockpit. The survival of over 170 people is due to the quick action of an Indian pilot. Passengers were able to subdue the co-pilot, see to the pilot's wounds, stabilize the plane, and land the plane safely.
You can tell Ms Rachel at Songs for Littles that the 30 children on board that flight lived to see another day. I'm sure she'll be thrilled. She loves all children.
Macklemore, Greta Thunberg, and Queers for Palestine could not be reached for comment. And that’s great because you know the stupid comments from them would be worthless anyway!
I am betting that if any ding dongs were on a plane that was nose-diving towards the ground, they'd be happy to have some Israelis on board to save their hypocritical, worthless butts.
But who am I to judge? I'm just a guy on the internet.