Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Road Tripping



In eleven days a granddaughter graduates from High School in South Carolina. I plan to be there. She has been an honor student since 1st grade. Joining the NJROTC at her high school she has risen in rank to LTC. In addition, she was in the marching band.

To my knowledge, she is the only officer of any kind in our extended family.

Her older brother is a 5th generation Army soldier.

Most likely, she will be in the military. Her future is bright!

But, and there is always a but, there is a boyfriend, currently an enlisted sailor.

Sisty always accuses me of over thinking. I call it careful planning.

 Regretfully, Banner will stay with Sisty. He road trips easily and is no burden. I will miss him. My primary reason for not taking him is his safety.

 My late son, the Medic, would be so proud. He fought so hard to create a safe place for her to grow up. The birth mother was, and probably still is, bat shit crazy. Many thousands of dollars were spent permanently ending her parental rights. Money well spent.

I will be driving, just under 1,600 miles each way. I loathe the whole commercial air travel experience. Been there, done that, for too many years.

21 comments:

drjim said...

Enjoy yourself, drive safe, and give the young lady a BZ for me!

Seabear said...

I second drjim...

Ami said...

Safe travels. What a wonderful girl. Definitely a credit to her family. You must feel so proud of the job your son did in raising her.

M L Thomas said...

What a proud grandpa you must be! Enjoy and have Safe Travels! God Bless

Sisty said...

Considering the circumstances of the first few years of her life, she & her brother are lucky to be alive. WSF sacrificed a lot to help his son keep those kids safe & keep them away from the bat shit crazy egg donor. I am proud of him, his son, her step-mother & most importantly, my niece.

And it is always a pleasure to host Banner, whether for a few hours or days. He is a very good house guest.

Coffeypot said...

Congrat to your granddaughter. Give her a BZ from an old tin can sailor. Best wishes to her no matter which way she goes and in whatever she chooses to conquer.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

WSF replies

DrJim/Seabear Thank you.

Ami Yes, proud of my son and the woman he married who adopted her.

M L Thomas Thank you, and thank you for commenting.

Coffypot She will go far.

Sisty You know the cost and let us not forget the help you gave along the way.

Sisty said...

That's what families do for each other. At least in our world.

jeff d said...

Road Trips are always Epic. Clearly, you have been a positive influence on your granddaughter. This will be a big day for her and your travel and being there will add to the moment. Wishing you both the Best.

Wild, wild west said...

Drive safe and pass along a BZ from me too, whatever those are, I was just a dumb grunt and not exposed to higher culture like some of you l.o.l.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

jeff D
Thank you.

W.W.W.
I think BZ is a Navy term for doing good - some kind of flag they fly on occasions. Kind of like we grunts not getting our asses chewed by the 1st Sgt.

drjim said...

"BZ" is the signal flag code for "Bravo Zulu", shorthand for "Well Done".

Old NFO said...

Drive safe and enjoy the trip! Bravo Zulu to her! And yes, that IS the right term! If you wander by this way, lunch is on me.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Thank you. Plans may change - a bunch of relative have fled Colorado for Texas - around Seguin

Wild, wild west said...

How to leave Seguin in Navy style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsMXgmf5qPc

Old NFO said...

WSF- Roger all. Standing by.

LSP said...

CONGRATS.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
She will need ROTC to attend higher education without punishing debt. My hope is she doesn't try for the Naval Academy.

W.W.W.
One Seguin relative is a retired Master Chief. His wife was active duty Army when they met.
Good blues - anew to me artist.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you.

Bohemian said...

Congratulations, I can tell you're so Proud and you should be, she sounds like a Wonderful Young Woman.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Bohemian
Thank you, and I am proud.