Sunday, January 15, 2023

Nothing too Important


Weather Coping Skills

My niece in Reno was recently without electricity for over 50 hours after a massive snow fall. She was able to fall back on experiences in her youth, plus country raised smarts, and come out unharmed. Discomfort yes but panic, no. Good job, Sisty,  on raising a smart capable daughter!

Outlets at Loveland

 

Fifteen years ago every store front was full. Over time more and more vacancies occurred. Now the North side is completely empty and the South side has two churches, a Boy Scout store, and a Mattress store.

Causes? I don’t know. Online shopping probably hurt. A newer snazzier outlet complex directly across the Interstate didn’t help.

More Closures

 

Two Lutheran senior housing places are closing in Greeley. A new high rise complex has been built twelve miles away in Windsor. These places are expensive with the least expensive apartments stating at $1,500 a month.

My place saw the rent rise $125 a month at the first of the year.

Fresh Ride

Sisty has an elderly relative by marriage that, nearly ninety, is relocating to Southwest Alabama.

My cell phone rings, it is Sisty, and she says, “You are buying a car”.

Said car is a 2002 Ford Taurus SE with 52,xxx miles.

In my many years retailing cars, I’ve seen perhaps three cars as clean. No dents, no scratches, no lot rash, perfect glass and excellent tires.

This is a wonderful win/win situation. The seller had no worries about the paperwork being done properly (Sisty has sold cars) and strangers coming to her house. She received crisp $100 bills. I now have a car that will probably go 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. 2002-2005 Taurus are prone to transmission problems. I’m not concerned as rebuilt transmissions are readily available and have corrected the piss poor Ford parts.

The car passed the Colorado Emissions test like it was brand new. Now insured, I have a DMV appointment Wednesday for license plates.

Thank you, Sisty.

Delinquent Mortgages

The assignments keep coming in with some new companies I haven’t seen before.

It seems many of the agents are intimidated by rural assignments and turn them down. Those assignments don’t bother me and I get well paid to do them. The assignments I don’t want are Metro Denver.

Unvaccinated?

You are a traffic menace.

https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-linked-to-increased-risk-of-traffic-accidents/

 Bad Girl

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2023/01/14/greeley-police-arrest-suspect-in-late-november-homicide-3-robberies/?utm_email=2324337475602411D46EA5DA6A&g2i_eui=Lx4rIdmvnRa7A%2bqYE6zWoV9Xr2DQfA63&g2i_source=newsletter&lctg=%c2%a02324337475602411D46EA5DA6A&active=yesD&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.greeleytribune.com%2f2023%2f01%2f14%2fgreeley-police-arrest-suspect-in-late-november-homicide-3-robberies%2f&utm_campaign=pmp-greeley-tribune-headlines&utm_content=automated

Someday I may learn how to do links but it will probably mean reading and following instructions.


Community Spirit

Over the years I’ve used this facility many times and then got coffee.

Avian Flu

All of us have seen the Price increase in eggs. The impact isn’t just domestic chickens.

 https://coloradosun.com/2022/12/12/colorado-worst-bird-flu-outbreak-raptors-wild-bird-deaths/

Cataracts

Tomorrow morning is the first procedure. I’m having my best eye done first. In 2005 I developed macular degeneration in my right (shooting) eye. Thanks to marigold extract it hasn’t worsened.

The left eye is ok but I’m slowly losing low light vision which makes driving at night hazardous. My hope is the procedure will improve my low light vision. Two weeks later the right eye will be done.

Banner will spend an overnight with Sisty. I have several retired nurses for neighbors who will be available for help if I need it.

Don’t Low Ball Me!


My 1995 Buick I’m selling to friends for $5.00. Why not free? Quirks in Colorado laws and liability issues. They are good people and he can work on the minor issues the Buick has. I’ve driven it 50,xxx miles after buying it for $800. I’ve spent somewhere around $1,800 on tires and repairs. With only 206,xxx on the odometer they should get several more years use out of it.

Government Overreach

As always, YMMV

6 comments:

drjim said...

Good for your niece! Smart, capable women are are pretty cool.

I've heard Centerra is having trouble renting out all their floor space. The mall on S. College in FoCo has many empty stores, too. And I guess after 10+ years the old K-Mart on S. College is going to be used for something, or torn down.

Great score with the Taurus! Should last a good many years with the way you care for your cars.

I heard the Bad Girl getting apprehended on my scanner! I also heard a person get caught with a rap sheet as long as your arm. When the dispatcher started reading the wants and warrants for the guy he whistled, and then said "I'll start with the big ones". Had at least five felony warrants, "extradition guaranteed", $100k bond on two charges, possession of drug manufacturing equipment, firearms violations, etc, etc, etc. Then the dispatcher told the officer "Back up is on the way".

We've been getting our eggs from a little place in Laporte that's on the way to where The Kids live. Great eggs, about half the price of store-bought. The seller says he just can't see gouging people, so he's kept his price at what it was.

Good luck and prayers sent for the eye surgery. I need a new pair of glasses, and just been too lazy to go do something about it!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you.

Eye glasses. Sisty and I go here. Fantastic people and service with A+ integrity. https://www.eatonvision.com/

LL said...

You paid CASH for a car, and then you admitted to it on the blog. It's a good thing that the House won't fund those 87,000 new IRS. agents.

Old NFO said...

Good for your niece! Country smarts for the win!!! And nice car! And Parachute was smart, and it has paid off for them!

LSP said...

Congrats on the car!

I agree with LL.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Spoken like a retired LEO; it never crossed my mind.

Old NFO
That was a huge risk for the few people left in Parachute. I've been told they needed to borrow the money and guarantee the loan.

LSP
It has turned into a triple win.