Saturday, May 15, 2021

Ouch!!!

A young man I occasionally mentor got home yesterday after a bout with kidney stones. His reply to my text inquiry how he was feeling,

“No, I feel like death. I’ve been bucked off horses, ran over by trucks, maced, tased, punched in the face, fallen from trees…..I’ve never felt pain like this. I was crying like a baby at the hospital, like a baby!”

I’m thankful I’ve never had that particular problem. I know some readers have. A neighbor down the hall, a once vigorous and robust man, is hobbling around with a cane after a prolonged bout. He’s been hospitalized four times in the past year.

This young man has had some ups and downs. Two weeks prior to entering the Army, he was a passenger in a truck wreck which messed up his right ankle. His son is autistic. He is the youngest in a terribly dysfunctional family.

I hope this is behind him. He is a sober, hard working family man. An entrepreneur, he works for himself. He and his wife are, simply put, good people.

 

10 comments:

LSP said...

Good luck to the fella, and I hope and pray all goes well.

Never had a KS, thank God.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Those who have say the pain is off the scale.

Old NFO said...

Good luck and prayers for him!

drjim said...

Had a guy on our launch crew who got clobbered by one when we were out at sea. Since it was 24 hours before launch, they don't put things on hold for medical issues unless it's life-or-death. He just laid in the sick bay on pain killers until it passed. He was all happy and jolly from the meds, and then the stone would start moving again, and he turned red, tears ran down his cheeks, and all he could do was curl up in a fetal position.

Wouldn't wish it on anybody....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Thank you.

drjim
He doesn't work, there is no money coming into the household. One activity is his Ebay marketing that he can do but vehicle wholesaling stops.

Ed Bonderenka said...

I passed one twice.
The second time led to my conversion as God answered my devout prayer for healing.
Immediately. Convinced me.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

EB
In discussing this with my sister, she said a friend with four children stated childbearing wasn't as painful as a kidney stone.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Wow.

Greybeard said...

Yeah, all of the above, and "ditto" to the worse than childbearing pain.
I've never had one myself, thank GOD, but I drove a close friend 45 minutes to the ER one night and he was TOTALLY incapacitated by it.
If they FAA finds you have the problem, they revoke your medical certificate.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
Didn't know that about Medical but it makes sense.