Sunday, November 25, 2018

Damn Fool III



Arrived to drive my route and found new tires. Also, an apology and a cash bonus.


Tough day. Yaris in Japanese means, "Wander all over the place".

Good timing as I was only in the storm system for about 45 minutes.  The downside was a very large tumbleweed over the hood at 75 mph.

A new windshield will be nice as that one is badly pitted and sand blasted.

Notice Prairie Adventure http://prairieadventure.blogspot.com/2018/11/sweet-little-lies.html has a post up with videos of the weather in Kimball. Lucky me I was about 30 minutes ahead of the storm once I got past the Double L Country store (about 10 miles south of Gering). 

So far it has been a mild winter on the High Plains. The usual suspects have been closing I-70 over the Continental Divide with multi-vehicle pileups and spin outs. I've never understood the mentality of skiers who blithely travel to the resorts when they haven't a fucking clue on how to drive on snow packed roads. (Do you hear me Californians and Texans?)

On a happy note my sister spent Thanksgiving in Reno with her daughter and was able to watch her grandson's high school football team win their semi-final game. Next stop, the state championship game in Las Vegas.

That grandson is still an underclassman but shows real promise as a future Division I player.


6 comments:

Coffeypot said...

After watching the Washington - Washington State football game in the snow, I am glad our football is only played, at its worse, in rain. The grandson should be used to playing in the snow, so that is a step up from our SEC/ACC teams.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Lived in the Seattle area for 18 years. The trash talking around Apple Cup time is epic.

Old NFO said...

Wow, 63 mph gusts? Impressive... Glad you didn't end up 'wearing' the tumbleweed!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Wyoming wind gusts are often in the 50+ range. Keeps my sister, the insurance adjuster, busy. Somewhere there is a picture taken on I-80 west of Rawlins with four eastbound 18 wheelers lying on their side in the median in a quarter mile stretch.

One eastbound trip I got 32 mpg in my Lincoln Towncar on a windy day.

LL said...

The new tires look good, and I'm sure that you'll find a place to use the bonus. Still and all, I worry that you tempt the winter weather gods with your trips up through Wyoming in harsh winter weather.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
So says the man who does business in Mexico.

During my seven plus decades the weather gods have bitten my ass several times. The lesson, "Plan well, travel easy".

Remember coming out of Douglass, WY early hours and seeing a WYDOT snowplow spun into the median. Continued my trip.

My blog title is no joke.