Thursday, September 13, 2018

Unconcealed Carry


Lone Star Parson


has been agitating the internet with arguments about edged weapons without offering alternatives (well, just once).

For the past thirty years this hammer has stayed in the passenger floor well of every vehicle I regularly drive. Never have I had an officer of the law even questioned why it is there.

Admittedly, a couple of lady passengers have expressed some discomfort with the presence. Probably the same ones who would complain about hay hooks.

The hammer has proven useful in a few road rage incidents. A memorable incident  involved dense fog and a tailgating BMW driver with a million candlepower worth of auxiliary lights.

I’m not one to name things but if I named this hammer, Thor might be appropriate.

Over the years it has also served as a hammer, most recently last week on a recalcitrant trailer hitch on my sister’s F-150.

Please, let’s not start an argument on weights, handle lengths and handle materials.

18 comments:

drjim said...

I used to carry a 36" long, 1/2" drive breaker bar, and was never asked about it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim Good choice!

Beans said...

My favorite is a roofing or shingle hatchet. Basically a tomahawk, nice hatchet head on one side, hammerhead on the other. Like you, I've had one in the cars for forever, and a good Estwing framing hammer.

Friend carries brick hammers with him. He says the spike does a real nice number on hoods.

Rev. Paul said...

I carried a 3 lb hammer which looked just like yours for years, until the handle finally gave out. Now I have a 4 lb hammer with a synthetic handle. :)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Good to know I'm not alone.

Old NFO said...

Whut... It's a hammer... :-D

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Means I can avoid the whole revolver vs semi argument.

LL said...

I have a tomahawk.

Same concept. Bad guys are unlikely to survive an event.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've defended myself in a 3-1 situation with an entrenching tool. Use what you have.

Coffeypot said...

I do carry a hammer in my truck, but not as big as the one you showed. I also have a pry-bar in case I need to open a can with a broke tab... or something.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Don't force that tab! Get a bigger pry bar.

drjim said...

I love my little 'hawk, too.

Maybe I should keep it in the Jeep, along with my "weaponized" entrenching tool.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

An entrenching tool fits a Jeep perfectly.

For employment, study military bayonet training film.

LL said...

Sharpen the edges of the entrenching tool the way that the Russians do. Take a grinder then a file and clean those edges.

drjim said...

They are.

It's a Russian tool, and wickedly effective from what I've read.

*I* sure wouldn't want to get smacked with it....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You thrust like a short bayonet lunge and horizontal swings edge on like a butt stroke.

Beans said...

The problem with having an actual tomahawk is that it is recognized as a weapon. Thus the roofing hatchet, since it's only a tool.

Entrenching tools are nasty good weapons, very under-rated. Love them. Strike with flat or edge, depending on needs. And they have a longer reach than a lot of other hand weapons. I prefer the old US folding model or the German (WWI or WWII) version.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

A common innocuous tool that doesn't shout weapon.

I may write a blog post about how an entrenching tool saved me a severe beating circa 1966 USAREUR.