Sunday, September 16, 2018

Pulled the Plug

Took their equipment back and stopped the television portion of the service.

I don't enjoy watching television. All the damned ads, like eight in a row. By the time the show I'm watching returns I've lost interest.

I've two choices at my location for internet, Comcast and Century Link. Century Link comes over the telephone wires which, in my building, are in poor condition. Comcast remains my internet source. Dish isn't an option in this apartment complex. Just for the record, I haven't a particle of good will towards Comcast.

YouTube offers television for $40 a month. I may try it out.

I've never hooked up my DVD player. I did check out a couple of movies from the library to try out. We'll see if I'm smart enough to hook up the DVD player.

I've never been one to watch TV but married a woman who always had it turned on. Once won a complete set of Star Wars videos and my kids nearly wore them out on a VCR player. 

One dealership I worked at was near my house. We had a mandatory Monday morning sales meeting but our crew didn't start until 1 pm. After the meeting we would go somewhere for breakfast. About once a month I would have the crew over to my house. Grill some steaks, etc. and move the TV and VCR out to the covered deck. While we ate we would watch "Used Cars". "It's a fucking red car, Rudy!" Good times.

For most of my life books have been my diversion. Love the internet - like having my own library.

Ah, the tribulations of a Latter Day Luddite.

12 comments:

LL said...

DVR allows me to skim through commercials and focus on content. I don't often watch anything that isn't pre-selected and recorded on the DVR. But we all have preferences. Books are good, and these days I download on Kindle. Even so, I'm moving about 60 boxes of books (already packed) to the new house. The volume of books suggests that I should throw some away, but I find that difficult to do.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Throw away books! Like throwing away firearms. Not happening.

Coffeypot said...

I have the TV on most of the time for noise. It helps with the Tinnitus. I mostly read or brows the net, reading blogs and FB stuff.

drjim said...

I still have books I was given in grade school, and several high-school and college textbooks.

"Used Cars" was funny movie...."A Fucking MILE of cars!!!"

drjim said...

Oh, and I'm with LL 100%. I simply can't stand all my commercials being interrupted by some stupid TV program!

I rarely watch anything live, unless it's the Indy 500 or the NASCAR Daytona 500. I record it, then blast through the commercials when I watch it later.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I have decisions to make. As my sister will point out, I haven't spent enough time overthinking.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Like you when I gave up cable, I kept the internet with Comcast because we really need reliable wifi. We do have Roku, and spend about $20 per month, but I still get free tv with my stupid little antenna that looks like a thin black box propped up like a picture frame. Because I'm already an Amazon prime member, I have access to that too, and they do have some great original series like Goliath. If only our local internet providers weren't so darned expensive I would switch that too.

Old NFO said...

I run news 90% of the time as white noise. Other than sports, that's about it. I spent too many years 'having' to watch the news for work reasons. Can't shake that.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm sure more options will be available.

SiGraybeard said...

We cut the cord in March and switched to YouTubeTV. Kept the cable only for the 100MB internet. We have no complaints about the service. Their unlimited DVR is a little weird to work with but no money out of pocket for a TIVO-like box is a good thing.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thanks for the info. I kept the 100MB internet.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thanks for the info. I kept the 100MB internet.