Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Suburban Stealth


A 1980’s red Japanese pickup with a black camper shell is out of place in the neighborhoods I travel for the mortgage document work. Not drawing attention is useful in what I do. To that end, picked up another vehicle. Found it on Craigslist.

Is there a more anonymous and forgettable vehicle than a white Ford Taurus?

This one is a 1995 GL with the 3.0 V-6. Per the VIN, it was not built in Atlanta! (When I was selling Fords nearly all Lemon Law deals I had were from the Atlanta factory). 112K on the odo. Usual Taurus glitches and neglected maintenance.  Needs shocks/struts and will probably need a transmission in the future. May have a radiator problem developing. As it sits, it is usable for what I need.

The seller was seeking way too much (as usual) and talked about how many calls he was getting and how many people were “looking at it”. The sight of $1,000 cash in fist demolished all that noise. So, I bought it cheap enough that I can dump it without a great loss if it turns out to be a bad car. I’ve budgeted spending another $1,000 over the next six months on repairs and tires.

I do enjoy the haggle. What something is worth is what someone will pay, nothing more or less.

“Well, the ‘book’ (NADA, Kelley Blue Book, Consumer Reports, etc.) says it’s worth xxxxx!!!!!”

“Fine, sell it to them”.

“They don’t buy cars (you dummy, sotto voice)”.

“Right, they sell information to consumers such as yourself. That information is their opinion, only”.

And so it goes.

4 comments:

drjim said...

Maybe a white Toyota Camry?

Or is that "Too L.A."?

I keep hearing ads on the radio for "Weld County Motors" in Greely. They're having some monster sale this weekend, with "Cars starting at $5!!!!!". And other cars under $10k, under $5k, and "even some under $2,000!".

Sounds like they cater to the bottom-feeders.....

Old NFO said...

Not a bad find, and yes, anonymous! :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DRJIM
Old established GMC/Buick dealer. They use a "marketing" company to come up with these sales. There will be one for $5. The others a low cost will be sold by "green peas". The pros won't go near them. That dealership got hit hard by hail.

A Camry would work.

Old NFO
On occasions I scout for the repo guys. Anonymous is the key. I'm too old to go hands on with fools.

Anonymous said...

WSF has now joined the modern age. He came up one decade, it is a self-shifter & blows cold. I think that he is getting extravagant in his waning years. But that is just an observation from his little sister.

Sisty