Saturday, September 21, 2013

Scammed


So I put some items for sale on Craigslist. Get an email reply that looks borderline legitimate. Respond. Damn, it is a scammer.

Part of the email exchange.
> Hello! Please let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for
> now, I came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am
> ok with the price as seen on the advert,..I will be buying from you so
> please kindly withdraw the advert from C.LIST due to disturbance and i
> will be giving you $50 for keeping the item for me I'll proceed in
> issuing a Certified check Or Cashier Check out to you and when you
> received the check , I will make arrangement for pick-up. So get back
> to me with below details asap.

> Final Price
> Name:
> Address:
> City:
> State:
> Postal Code:
> Phone Number:

> And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you
> and i will let you know when its mailed out. and Just to informed you
> that I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via
> email I need you to be honest with the sale as I am a God fearing
Yeah, right. Copies made and sent to Craiglist. Anyone have other suggestions? Guess it comes with the territory.

My reply to the scammer? Even with the "Content Warning", far too lurid for a blog.

4 comments:

Ami said...

One of my friends was selling some furniture. She was sent a check for 1400 bucks, although the furniture itself was listed for 500. The rest was so she could "ship it to Nigeria."

She didn't cash the check. The only thing she lost was her privacy since she sent the scammer her mailing address.

But it's been several years ago, and nothing happened, thank goodness.

It seems that even though word is out there that people are trying to scam ALL the time, people still fall for it on occasion.

Makes me want to go out with a big stick and to some asshole whackin'!

Old NFO said...

They ARE out there... period...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Will probable see more in my junk folder.
I'd join you with the big stick.
My daughter in law, who is no dummy, almost got taken on a car ad. Guy was slick but tried to pass himself off as being in the military. Might have worked on someone who wasn't an Army wife.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Correct, much like Progressives.