Sunday, May 12, 2013

Control Freaks, Auto Sales Sub Species



Something for the few auto retailers out there that occasionally drop by. For those with no interest in the subject, you may want to stop here.

First, a short back story. The dealer principal who was able to tolerate me for many years, and his family, have become  both a business and personal relationship. Recently, one of his sons has started selling cars. He is also the one this Latter Day Luddite calls for computer tech help. I sometimes mentor him in his sales efforts. This was written with him in mind.

Too many people retailing automobiles are, at their core, weak, insecure, anxious and fearful. They appear to be Type A confident and forceful; it is an act. They are control freaks, and, far to often, bullies. Then they get promoted to management and inflict their insecurities on their staff.

There is a whole sub industry of sales trainers who convince dealers, or manufacturers, to pay them to train the sales forces. Some are excellent (Grant Cardone), and many just tell the trainees what the dealer principals want to hears (as opposed to what they need to hear). What the dealers want to hear is CONTROL! To get one customer (up) on the lot, dealers will  spend hundreds of dollars in advertising and promotions. When that “up” comes on the lot, the dealer considers them an asset and wants to maximize their return. Hence, sales people are trained to “get and keep control”. Sales people know they will be severely berated is they don’t “control” the customer. All this is bullshit. That “up” is a human being, and that is what you need to deal with.

Hear it comes. YEAH, BUT! Look dummy, you always have control because you have the car, not them. At some point, they will cede control to you to get what they want. Your job is to make them feel comfortable, and to build value and desire in the car.

So how do you, neophyte salesperson, sell a car? First, a proper greeting. Welcome them,  introduce yourself, and thank them for coming in. Then SHUT UP. I guarantee that any question you ask at this point will get, “We’re just looking”.  If you keep your pie hole closed, they will tell you what they want. Not always, not immediately, but they will tell you. Have patience, but don’t let them walk the lot alone. It is your house, not theirs. Then find them a car THEY like. At this point it doesn’t matter what it is, only that they like it. Don’t ask them any personal questions. Once they are somewhat comfortable with you, they will start giving you information. If they are worried about their credit, about their trade, etc., they will bring it up,  if you give them the chance.

Once you “land” them on a car, build value. Always, ABC (advantage, benefit, commitment). “This model has a xxx,xxx mile warranty. You won’t have to pay for any repairs for a long time. Is that something important to you?” (If you are going to be successful, you better learn your product. Back in the day, I could come up with thirty or more ABCs on any vehicle on the lot. Rarely lost a walk around contest). You have “landed” them on a car. Now comes the most important step, the test drive. Get them to drive the car. On the test drive, keep you mouth shut unless they ask you a question or you need to keep them on the route you have already established.

Towards the end of the drive, you go for the “baby” commitment.

“Folks, do you like the car? If they answer yes, then you say, “If we make you a great deal, will you drive it home today”? Expect some resistance but, in a polite manner, persist. Once you have a “yes”, take them inside and put it on paper (the write up). At this point, you have done all the heavy lifting. Now, your managers will do their part.

During the write up, the problems come out. Credit, trade, down payment, whatever. They may not be able to buy the car they drove. At this point, the customer has a lot of time and emotion invested. They do not want to go somewhere else and start over. Now, you can direct them to the car they can buy. Now, who has control? Remember, they came to your lot because you have something they want, and you have always been in control. Repeat, they came to the lot to buy a car; let them buy. Don’t fight them.

"But WSF, I don't want to waste my time." Really, what else do you have? Retailing automobiles and efficiency aren't even in the same time zone. Want efficiency? Go to work for UPS.

During my decades retailing vehicles, I kept score. How many ups, how many test drives, how many write ups, how many sales? While not a superstar, I would sell one out of 4.3 ups. The best I personally worked with was Dirty Al, who sold one out of three. The national average, as I recall per NADA, was North of one out of six.

Your biggest obstacle towards success is your manager. Don’t stay in a store with bad managers. That dinosaur brain in the tower is your worse obstacle. If the Finance office is stealing your gross, get out! I was fortunate to have four great managers, including my friend's father.  I stayed with them until they left. Quite possible my worst manager was myself.

Like many people, I got into car sales because I needed a job, and that was all I could find. To my surprise, it allowed me to  earn what I needed to make the other parts of my life (like feeding my kids) work. Prestige? From an early age, I’ve not given a rat’s ass what the world, outside of the family,  thought of me. Your mileage may differ.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your approach beats the shit out of Ford's "Page 19."

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Suz. You betcha! Was "Ford Certified" for many years. Never met a Ford "suit" I would want on my sales crew.

Ami said...

Weird. My comment disappeared.

We walked away from a car guy we'd told "There is nothing on your lot that we're interested in, thank you very much have a nice day."

He followed us all the way to our car. It was awkward and weird and uncomfortable.

We also walked on a car we'd been willing to buy. The manager was, quite frankly, a dick. We didn't want to do business with him. He was aggressive, obnoxious, rude and condescending. He was the one who lost the sale for the dealership.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Ami. Good for you walking away. The first guy should have said, "I can get it".

Old NFO said...

Concur with Ami, there have been deals "I" walked on for the same reason... Dump on me because I'm in the military and you will NEVER see a penny of my money.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Always happy to hear of people voting with their feet. As to military, for years most lenders wouldn't finance someone in the military. Stupid and short sided. Those lenders were always at the bottom of my list as to where I sent a "deal" for finance approval, military or not. Hello, Seattle First!

Old NFO said...

WSF- Yep saw that MANY times over the years...