Saturday, May 25, 2013

That Time Of Year

Hoping winter is over, installed the swamp cooler today. Snow next week?

Given our near desert climate, an evaporative cooler works well. Mine will bring down the interior temperature to around 72-75 most days.

They are simple enough mechanical devices.  I've always been able to do my own maintenance and repairs.

The vocabulary usually gets a good workout, what with dropped and/or forgotten tools. No, person helping me last year, a "good tight cross thread" is not acceptable.

Note to the Water Department. Your bragging about our water quality, and the ultra expensive reverse osmosis plant built and operated at great expense, would seem to be fiction. This, based on the hour of cleaning out caked scale on the inside of the swamper. Yes, I did a "proper" job of cleaning it last fall.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL on the cross thread... That ONLY works once! And water quality? Yeah, that's pretty much the same everywhere!

Scotty said...

Crossed threads help us maintain our humility!

Water quality, living in Florida I'm not sure what that may be. Albeit I did make the change to city water a few years back.

I was on a well most of the 13 years I've lived here. The casing collapsed the first year we lived in the house we're in.

I was an older well and the casing was too small to sleeve so, I had to have a new well punched.

It was fascinating to watch what the drill brought up. It was more sea shells than it was dirt. Explaining all those interesting deposits on just about everything it touched. Even with filtration and water softeners!

As the crows flies, I'm about 10 miles in from the sea shore.




Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty Growing up in the Rockies, way back in the hills, drank "hard" well water. Have never had dental problems. East of the mountains, the water has a high alkali content. I filter all my water or buy water for $1.50 for 5 gallons.

Best municipal water I've ever tasted was in Anchorage.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Should add, when I'm traveling, buy grocery store water. Look for reverse osmosis. Probable right from some tap, but all you can do is try.