Friday, April 5, 2013

Zealots

 Warning: Long, tedious political rant to follow.


Grew up in a staunch Republican household. My father was, for many years, the county committeeman. Ran for sheriff. Won the primary, lost the general. Mother ran for city council, lost. Numerous relatives, in adjoining counties, held party offices. Being involved in the political process was an obligation, as was voting, and joining the service. It was what one was excepted to do.

Leading up to the Reagan years, the Evangelicals made a push to enter the political arena. School boards, city councils, county organizations, and then state organizations. They took over the Republican Party. They were intolerant of any opposing opinions. Brass knuckle politics.  They were so upset with me, they found a candidate to run for Precinct Captain, an elective office at the time. If no one ran, then the party could appoint someone. They worked the precinct as hard to defeat me as they did to elect Ronnie.  I lost by ten or so votes. After turning in the materials in my possession to the “proper authorities”, went to the Democrat headquarters, picked up the same material, as was  appointed Democrat Precinct Captain. Delivered my precinct to the Democrats in the next two elections,  until I moved to a different location.

The main difference between the two  parties was the Dems had a hell of a lot more fun. Instead of Chicken ala King at the Holiday Inn, they had a cash bar at a Longshoreman’s hangout. Things that were very important to me seemed to be in line with their platforms.  Since I was never a lock step Republican, I was never a lock step Democrat. Had some hellacious arguments.

I’ve now watched the Progressives take over the Democratic Party in much the same fashion as the Evangelicals took over the Republican Party.  If you ignore the philosophies, the rhetoric, and the goals, there is little difference between the Evangelicals and the Progressives in the way they act, operate, and their intolerance.

I do see the Progressives doing far more damage to the country than the Evangelicals ever did. Still, the difference between Barry Obama and Tom, The Hammer” DeLay is minor; they are both thugs. Wouldn’t it be lovely if Barry joined Tommy in the lists of convicted felons?

Need I say I despise the Progressives and Evangelicals equally?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen.

Old NFO said...

Can't disagree at all... Sigh...

Scotty said...

Yer right, progressives and evangelicals both follow the tenants of "religion".

Being an old fart like you, I remember the days when democrats like Moynihan put the best interests of the country before ideology.

I think there is an air of cultism on both sides of the fence.

One distinction that you should make is, that there are evangelicals that are also progressive. Many Episcopals would fall into that category and there are more.

While I consider myself a Christian, I don't see myself as an evangelical. It's just another label that is put out there to portray politically active Christians that lean right is a negative way.

Because, as I mentioned, Evangelicals reside on both sides of the fence. As do Christians. That cannot be said of progressives.

And, I must admit, I struggle often with the idea of how involved a Christian should be in politics.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

SUZ, NFO. Thank you.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Scotty. Excellent points.