Saturday, October 27, 2012

Disgust


When you request an absentee ballot in Colorado, that, along with your telephone number if you give it, is a public record and available to campaign workers. Today, received a phone call from a lady on behalf of the Obama campaign.

She asked if I had sent in my ballot; if I had voted for Obama. Told her I hadn’t sent in my ballot and I hadn’t made up my mind. (Not exactly a lie. About Obama, made up my mind about him in the first sixty days he was in office. Still mulling over local candidates, judges, and ballot issues.)

We chatted for awhile. We know each other through local politics. I explained I was a Blue Dog who is very angry with the “Progressives”. Her ringing endorsement of Obama? “Well, he is certainly better than the other guy.” She went on to denounce the “other guy”, never mentioning him by name. Loyal party worker, doing her part, one of the year in, year out types,  and that is her level of enthusiasm?

What a fucking statement about this election. Yeah, I’m voting for Romney. Not because I like him but because he is “certainly better than the other guy.” Shit!

The local campaign office is just three blocks away. Will wander over that way for coffee and conversation. Better than a singles bar for meeting women. Yes, I know. I’m disgusting.

End of the day, be a citizen, get involved, vote! Hold your nose if you must but vote!

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Involvment IS the way to change things, and as you've discussed before, starting at the LOCAL level works...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. At the local level, you have a better chance to know the character of the candidate, and they will have more of an immediate impact on your life. At the national level? Crap shoot.

Anonymous said...

Amen,Brother!!! Crap shoot or not...it gives you and I something to rant and/or discuss. Whatever you want to call our discussions.

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Sisty. Genteel and civilized exchanges of points of view, don't you agree?

Keads said...

I have been to fund raisers for local candidates. Beyond that? I concur with your assessment.