Sunday, September 9, 2018

Fiscal Prudence


A client has me deliver delinquency notices to people with home mortgages. Along with the notification is information that will help them avoid foreclosure.

I’ve become jaded as I routinely approach $450,000 McMansions with $60,000+ vehicles in the driveway or garage. Toys of all kinds, motorcycles, ATVs and boats sitting there soaking up available income just makes me shake my jowls.

2008 – 2014 were tough years in this area along with the collapse of the subprime ponzi. The car business sucked and I found a market for my other skills in construction and photography securing and documenting abandoned properties. Job losses and medical bills along with a shrinking economy caused many, many families to lose their homes. Having been there at one point in my life, I had empathy for those folks.

I have three sons who are careful with their finances. Perhaps the best compliment my ex ever gave me was when she said to my youngest, “You are cheaper than your father”.

As an aside, you have a problem spouse when you list Nordstrom Stores as a dependent, and the IRS accepts your return.

I no longer do any property work. My knees aren’t up to the task. Sadly, even in this now robust economy there is a need for that service.

I still have empathy for folks who fall on hard times. The information I deliver can help them (if they will help themselves). The client offers more money if I sit down and counsel people. 

Sorry, no. That opens a whole can of worms with Colorado laws. The client doesn’t think so but I know better. Plus, I plain don’t want to do it. If they want to replace me with someone else, no hard feelings.

As for those who are financially stupid, tough shit. Learn some financial discipline. When you are an adult, participation trophies aren’t free.

6 comments:

drjim said...

I was used to seeing people who were obviously overextended in SoCal all the time. I think it's less prevalent "out here", but I still see young people in huge houses with new or year-old high-end crew cabs, boats, bikes, and ATVs, and wonder how they afford it.

I also see what appears to be "old money" here, and how the obviously well-off old farts like us spend their money.

LL said...

Sometimes people ride the wave and then it hits the beach.

Old NFO said...

Yep, that whole fiscal prudence thingie seems to be lost on this generation... And I wouldn't want to talk to the 'customers' either. No way that ends well...

Coffeypot said...

The youth of today wants what the want now, charge or finance it, and then want the government to bail them out of debt. I wonder if we should bring back debtors-prison.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Old farts have gone through several boom and bust cycles. Some learned.

LL
Excellent!

Old NFO
Most seem to be 30-50 years. I've lost any missionary impulses I might have once had.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

CP
Shillary voters.