Saturday, April 16, 2011

Women and Self Defense




Reading Brigid http://www.mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/ today started this thought.

Questioning women protecting themselves with firearms puzzles me; why it is even a question. My first exposure to the answer happened when I was going on six.

We lived, at the time, in a small house next to the railroad tracks. The area is still isolated. We were two miles from the nearest telephone in the small town next to the state highway. No law enforcement personnel were in the area unless they happened to be patrolling the state highway.

My father was away from the house, working, when a hobo/tramp/transient came by looking for a handout. Upon seeing a small (5 foot), attractive young woman, alone with a small child, he decided to try for more than a handout. He was soon looking down the barrel of a .30-.30 Winchester Model 94 and ran for his life. My mother encouraged his departure with three of four rounds near his feet as he ran. The misses were deliberate; she was very proficient and had handled firearms her entire life.

When I’m asked advice about firearm protection, I refer people to the Cornered Cat blog http://www.corneredcat.com/kids/kidsfun.aspx . Great advice for woman and good information for everyone.

People’s attitudes toward self defense also puzzles me; why it is even a question. If I sense danger, suspect someone will hurt me or mine, or they make threats, they will meet a dirty white boy. Promptly.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good posts on BOTH counts! My mother was the same way... grew up shooting, and had NO problem using one if required.