Thursday, March 9, 2023

Grease is Cheaper than Machinery


 A favorite saying of my father. Recently the 2002 Ford Taurus went in for an oil change and minor tune up (spark plugs).  $192 for all NAPA filters and synthetic oil, new spark plugs, and new PCV valve. The mechanic discovered cracks in the PVC valve holder causing an intermittent vacuum leak.

For most of my life I’ve done my own routine maintenance but age now makes that difficult.

“Putting a pencil” to it is depressing. Say my fuel economy is improved by 2 mpg. Over 6,000 miles at current gas prices I will save around $32. Yes Sisty, I can hear you muttering about your cheap ass brother!

The real payoff is peace of mind knowing I have a reliable vehicle that won’t leave me stranded in someplace like Last Chance, CO. What is that worth?

Prompted by LL’s blog

 


More Radical Democrat Foolishness

Passed the House and on to the Senate, lowers the fine for operating a commercial vehicle without a Commercial Driver License to the lowest level possible – around $100 and no “points”.

Should improve highway safety, no?

As Dirty Harry explained, a man should know his limitation. In my case, I’ve demonstrated many times I’m not qualified to operate anything larger than a one ton flat bed pickup.

Weather

Daily Conspiracy

The building I live in is managed by the Weld County Housing Authority for private investors. The investors enjoy certain tax write offs. We have several residents who constantly look at ways changes may affect our leases, etc.

Most evenings a group gathers in the lobby to discuss and solve all the world’s problems. Senior housing has been the recent hot topic.

Banner enjoys joining the group as some carry treats for him. I enjoy bringing my Mr. Maytag persona (always agitating).

As an aside, I pay full rent and don’t qualify for programs like SNAP, etc. I’m grandfathered in income wise but face annual rent increases. Many of my neighbors live on the ragged edge financially. Their concerns as to any changes by the housing authority are legitimate.

Currently several hundred “Senior Affordable” apartments are under construction in the area. With rents starting at $1,200 for a 600 sq ft one bedroom and increasing to $2,000 for larger apartments, I don’t think anyone relying solely on Social Security can afford them.

Emissions Update

Bizarre, son’s engine/catalytic converters passed emissions but his car was flagged for “alignment”. I suspect someone spotted a serious safety issue and made a decision not covered by regulations.

Probably a good call as this Saturday the Focus will get $1,200 in front end work.

Son can afford it and I’m ok with someone deciding the car is unsafe.

The good news is the passing emissions. That buys another year before the car must be replaced. From what I hear, the used car market at the wholesale level is in free fall. Add the ongoing financial collapse and some bargains will be available this year.

Sucks if you are one of the people who will be harmed. Too bad, probably voted Democrat.

As always, YMMV.


12 comments:

drjim said...

I do the recommended maintenance for peace of mind. If the fuel economy increases, it's a side benefit. My dad drove 40,000 miles a year when I was growing up, and he ALWAYS kept his cars in tip-top condition. Tires, brakes, shocks, tune-ups and oil changes were sacrosanct to him. Guess it rubbed off on me and my son!

The road sign is hilarious. And very true.

I get a pretty decent chunk from SS every month, and I'd be struggling if I had to pay that much rent. I feel for your fellow residents.

At least you and your son will have the peace of mind in that his front wheels will remain firmly attached to the rest of the vehicle now!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
Maintenance is key. I just grit my teeth and spend what needs to be spent.

LSP said...

Good luck with the car but my attention's drawn to the Biden infographic.

What. A. Crook.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
You are too polite regarding the meat puppet.

Old NFO said...

Yep, PMs save $$$ in the long run! Always have, always will! And the Biden one could also be used for China, Ukraine, and probably some others (10% for the big guy)... sigh

Rent is going up as fast as Social Security goes up, keeping those folks on the ragged edge or behind it... dammit!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
It bothers me that I now pay someone to do what I did for myself most of my life. I was never a great mechanic but one hell of a parts changer.

drjim said...

I hear you, WSF! It pains me to have to have my son help me do things like swap out the wife's tires in the Fall and Spring. The two of us do it in about an hour, taking our time, and goofing off.

The last time I did it by myself took several hours......

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
Spent part of today denting a rental storage unit contents. About 20% of the contents belong to middle son. Surprised how much just that amount of work tired me.

Wild, wild west said...

Grease is indeed cheap. After a lifetime spend working on and around process machinery and driving automobiles, I can attest to the old saying "If you don't schedule your preventive maintenance, your machinery will schedule it for you" and I guar-an-damn-tee with 100% certainty that you will not like that schedule!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

WWW
That is a new one for me. Exactly so.
A clear memory from my teens is my Great Uncle firing a ranch hand next to a tractor with a seized engine out of oil.

Old NFO said...

WSF- We're men of a 'certain age', we can't get out and bust knuckles and wrenches anymore... sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
My skin has gotten so thin any work will leave me with bruises and scratches.