Sunday, March 5, 2023

Enough Winter Already


Welcome, California Import
They have opened a couple of Colorado locations and have closed on a property about ten minutes from my apartment. I always enjoyed eating there when I was in California working.

Poor People have Poor Ways

One of many things that piss me off is the way affluent “save the earth” types don’t care how their decisions affect poor people.

If you live along the Colorado Front Range your vehicle must pass an emission test in order to be licensed. The test only costs $25. What happens when your vehicle fails? You are fucked. Big repair bill.

Poor? Too bad. How do you get to work?

Middle son is currently in this jam. Should his 2002 Ford Focus need a new catalytic converter, that is around $1,800. He can cover it with a credit card but what a bite!

After years of bad alcohol induced decisions, wrong friends, and especially wrong females, he has his life on track. He doesn’t need this! He was here today and I fiddled with his car. Got the check engine light out and poured in some “Guaranteed to Pass” snake oil. Fingers crossed!

My perfectly usable Mitsubishi pickup is current stored as it won’t pass emissions. I can afford the repairs but have other priorities at this time.

Relocations


When my youngest son was medically discharged from the Army, he relocated his family to the Spartanburg, S.C. area. An Army buddy was managing an ambulance company there. Big changes are in the works. My daughter-in-law and youngest grandson plan to move to Tucson, AZ this summer where her parents live. Her two older children will probably stay in the Spartanburg area.

 My other granddaughter graduates high school this year and will be off to either a military academy or a university, possible Emery-Riddle in Florida.

Her brother and fiancée are moving to Corpus Christi. He has already submitted paperwork to transfer from the South Carolina Guard to the Texas Guard. From a selfish point of view, I don’t approve. He is firmly in the rear with the gear and unlikely to ever be deployed in the South Carolina Guard. Texas? Who knows?

Looks like Banner and I will be spending a lot of windshield time in 2023. I loathe the entire airport/airline hassle. Too many years of doing it has soured me. If it is not an emergency, I am driving.

Kick in the guts

A neighbor’s granddaughter was murdered. No details as the neighbor is too distraught to discuss her loss. She is the kindest lady in the building who will help anyone and one of Banner’s favorite people.

Ukraine

Aside from the huge sums of our nearly worthless money being laundered there, I don’t give a shit about the whole situation. Has there ever been a prolonged time that region hasn’t been at war?

Eyes

Had my final exam Friday. Left eye, 20/20. Right eye, with the macular degeneration, 20/40. What is more important to me is my night vision has improved and I feel safer driving at night. Glare is still an issue but I can deal with that.

Hell in a Hand basket

Radical Democrats are having their way at the State Legislator this year. Among the many things they are doing are:

Unconstitutional firearms laws. Bruen decision?  We don’t care.

Legalize drug dens.

Regulate hours, days off, etc. for restaurant workers. (More restaurants will close and more automation will happen in the fast food segment)

Rent control

Allow non citizens to vote in US elections

 Will they claim credit for:

5th highest gas prices in the country?

Nearly 30% spike in property taxes?

All of this should make Emperor Polis nervous as he re-brands himself as some kind of libertarian in advance of his Presidential run. Hey asshole, you will forever be a Boulder puke.

Football


Two big stories regard the hiring of Deion (Prime Time) Sanders as head coach for the University of Colorado team and Sean Peyton as the coach of the Denver Broncos. While not a fan of either team, many friends and relatives are. For their sake, I hope both are wildly successful.

Fremont Troll (Seattle)

Oldest son sent this. Not sure just what is going on but seems to be associated with Valentine Day.

Cell Phones

I’m old enough to remember packing around a pager


 that required four D Cell batteries. 

As always, YMMV.


7 comments:

drjim said...

Well, it's not in Fort Collins, but my son will be ecstatic that they'll be one close to him. In a remarkable display of Good Management Thinking, the In-N-Out board decided that their proposed location would cause excessive traffic issues on the stretch of College Ave where the store was going to be located. Oh well....just a most excellent reason to go spend more time in Greeley, with my son and our beloved In-N-Out burgers.

It's worse in Kommiefornia. If it fails smog, you have to go to an "authorized" repair-only place, with pricing to match. It's no wonder the Smog Cops in LA are going after the people who'll "Make It Pass Or Don't Pay".

Well, at least you two have a fine ride to do your traveling. Do I detect a whiff of "Harry and Tonto" in your plans?

Terrible news for your friend. Hope they hang the SOB that did it.

Emperor Polis and his minions are trash. Whatever happened to Tar and Feathering? I say we should bring it back...

I used to pack THREE pagers, but at least they took a single "AA" battery.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Last month I drove by the new Denver location but didn't stop. There must have been twelve cars in line a the drive thru. The Loveland location will be in the area off US 34 and I-25.

The son's ride is overdue for an update. I've got my contacts looking. Hopefully tomorrow his Focus will pass emissions one more time.

drjim said...

We've by it a couple of times, too, not at a "meal time".. Geez, that whole stretch of 43 West of I35 is solid food courts! I'm taking a guess that's where it'll be. Not too bad a drive, and in nice weather, with the Supra and SLW along, it should be enjoyable.

Wild, wild west said...

Empathetic Me is sorry to hear about your neighbor's loss. Cynical Me wonders what manner of bad actor perpetrated the crime and how many times "it" was let loose with little or no punishment.

I was not terribly impressed with In and Out when first encountered them, but have to admit the taste has improved greatly since learning they told gubmint to shove some of the covid tyranny - and made it stick. Big fan now, just not often within striking range of them, unfortunately.

Old NFO said...

Well, if there is a bright spot, they'll be closer than South Carolina. Hope the snake oil works!

Greybeard said...

Sell me the son's car. I'll register it here and if he gets stopped he can honestly claim he is "borrowing" the car.
I did that with my son's motorcycle while he lived in AZ.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
The car partially passed the test and the failed part is a cheap easy fix.

WWW
No details yet.

Old NFO
There is that.