Saturday, September 12, 2015

Old Thresher days II



One aspect of these small town gatherings is the openness of the people. They just start talking to you. Ask you a question and make it into a conversation. I hadn’t left the parking lot before one couple my age was telling me about how they farmed six quarter sections before they retired. Politely cut them off by explaining I need to find a restroom.

All this is accomplished by volunteer effort.  Some of the local farmers are well off and I’m sure there is a certain amount of competition and oneupmanship that goes on. The results count more so than the motives.

How many OSHA violations can you see? To my amazement, I learned OSHA does indeed get involved which is one reason the steam tractor engine wasn’t being used this year.




I missed the thresher operation but was in time for the corn shucker  show. Please excuse the end of the video – my first time shooting video with this camera.








The people handling those horses and mules have a real challenge as the teams may not have worked together or even worked with another team. One team got real fractious  so while a belt was being replaced they were removed and worked away from the noise. Later they came back, were hitched, and settled in. It takes real skill and an understanding of horses to drive a team. Draft horses can be as temperamental as race horses. Not fun to shoe either if they decide to lean on you. 

We forget how much of life was HARD physical work. Busting tires by hand and working with split rims was no fun.



Ever run a cream separator by hand? I have, and it is no fun.


The American Legion had some interesting stuff and one suspects most of what is on display was used/worn by the donors.  And a few firearms.











I’ll damn well sell any damn flags I please, SJW.

Long lines for the food and I don’t do lines if I can help it. Did enjoy the shade and the plates of food looked like what a farm crew would get for  lunch (sorry, no pictures).


Can't forget some old trucks!


And finally a buck rake. Think I was about nine going on ten when I drove one. Old truck or car modified to run in reverse. Getting the hydraulic pump synchronized took some farm engineering.

 Hope I haven't bored you.

8 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Not bored at all. And I believe I could have stood in line for some of that country chow. The reward would be worth the pain of being in line. Some of the fall fares around her has some might good eats. And I am always amazed at how friendly the fair people are, regardless of how many dumbasses they encounter each day. They greet you and talk to you like you were the first one of the day. No me. I would tell too may to fuckoff.

CenTexTim said...

OSHA? Really...?

Words fail me...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Did me good to spend time around real folks.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I shit you not.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I shit you not.

Well Seasoned Fool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma Fargo said...

That was a most awesome tour. How fun! I love small town festivals and events...especially with nostalgia.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Some of them are outstanding. Burlington, CO has something similar that is outstanding.