Thursday, January 5, 2012

Just Say No to Television



People can’t believe I don’t watch television. About a year ago, Comcast jumped their rates. They were my Internet provider. I found a broadband connection and unplugged Comcast.

What I dislike about television are the commercials; too many in a row. My viewing was reality shows and sports. Television drama doesn’t interest me.
I would be watching a show and then the cut to commercials. Six to eight in a row. By the time the program was back, the continuity was gone along with my interest. I hate being manipulated.

Some time ago, I bought a yard sale DVD player. Same crap with the DVDs. Front loaded with commercials.

Haven’t been to a film in over a decade. It is not just the obnoxious patrons, it is the damn commercials before seeing the feature .

See a video that may interest me on the Internet. More damn commercials, I need to wait to play, before I see what I want.

I’m told there are alternatives; hardware that filters commercials. I just don’t see a favorable cost/benefit.

Books, magazines and print media I devour. My interest, my pace, and my choice.

Many people, including my ex, turn on the television first thing when they arise and the box stays on until they go to sleep. Not for me. Silence is to be enjoyed, not shunned.

6 comments:

Ami said...

I don't watch television either. The content sucks, the commercials suck...
Most of what I watch (and it's rare) is on demand from netflix. There are no commercials. Yet. But I'm wondering how long it will be before they start bombarding us with ads.

Old NFO said...

I watch mostly news, because I 'need' to keep up to speed, but actually get most of my updates from the web. As much as I travel, I'd be smart to dump TV... sigh

Scotty said...

Nope, not interested in getting rid of MY TV. There are a LOT of shows that I enjoy. Anything that is about things that run on race gas or nitro methane. The "how too" shows. My present addiction is the storage unit auctions.....today's new treasure hunters ;-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Ami May change my mind. Some of my tech savvy friends will help if I ask.

@ NFO Weather Channel is what I watch at a motel.

@ Scotty Interested in the same things and shows. Just can't stand all the commercial interruptions.

Scotty said...

@ Scotty Interested in the same things and shows. Just can't stand all the commercial interruptions.

Three letters.....DVR. The only way anyone will get my DVR is by stepping over my dead body and prying it from my cold hands!

About 60% of my viewing is done via my DVR. Half hour shows can be watched in half the time by buzzing by the comercials!

FDIL said...

Netflix is pretty awesome and so low tech you could probably actually watch it! We pay around $9.00 a month to stream as many movies and tv shows as we want. The biggest challenge comes is finding something on Netflix that you want to watch. Your youngest will spend hours watching shows on Netflix and you know how much TV he watches. LOL As far as our family tv.... unless it's a video or PBS for the smallest monster or football it's rarely on.