Thursday, September 1, 2011

Oh, Canada II



Middle son reminded me of a two day trip he and his younger brother (17 and 14) made with me to Canada. They hadn't been to Canada since they were little. My sales were far ahead of schedule so I decided to take two days off and take them to the Vancouver area.

My sons were aspiring rock musicians and looked the part. Their band, THE LUCKY SPERM, was important to them. They loaded their guitars for the trip and off we went. The Canadian Customs folks got all in a twitter; took us nearly an hour to cross.

We had no planned itinerary; just cruising. We stopped at a mega store where an ugly situation developed. They went exploring one way while I went another. I saw them leave the store and go to the car. As I started to leave, I observed four security types watching them and making comments. I confronted them and insisted they accompany me to our car and check my kids on the spot for shoplifting. No way was I driving away and then being stopped by the police. Now my kids were never thieves. They would flat kick your ass but they wouldn't steal from you. The situation was settled with a few choice words from both sides and off we went.

My youngest had a strong desire to obtain foreign currency and buy something. I stopped by a bank where he went in to change two US $20 bills into Canadian. The bank employees refused to wait on him. He came back to the car frustrated and embarrassed. Then papa bear went into the bank. Shortly, he came back to the car with Canadian money.

We stopped to eat and I started looking for a motel. Then the kids said, "Dad, can we just go home"? Which we did.

One thing I miss about living in Western Washington is the Abbotsford airshow. It is worth all the hassle and expense to attend; the organizers do a fine job.

A short side trip on raising kids. I made mine do for themselves as training for when they would be on their own. Having my youngest go into a Canadian bank alone to exchange currency, first time ever doing that, was part of making them into strong adults. Being papa bear and showing them how to deal with people giving them shit was part of the process. Always be polite and respectful but don't take any shit from anyone at anytime.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

AMEN! I had it a tad bit easier with daughters, but not by much...

Unknown said...

People are scared of autonomy in kids; it's so rare these days. Sad.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO Watching family members raise daughters makes me question the easy part. Little ladies can easily outwit you!

@ Suz Agree!

Old NFO said...

You are correct sir... sigh

FDIL said...

I have it on good authority that the band was actually named "The Nut Sacks". Although same authority said he had a good time on those trips. LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ FDIL I will defer to "your" authority. So long as the band names were tasteful.....ah, no, that wouldn't have been my sons.