Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MOVE IT!!!???


Was recently involved in a situation with an ambulance and am wondering if any LEOs or EMTs can tell me what I should have done.

I was at an intersection, stopped for a red light in the right lane, when an ambulance, lights and siren going, came up behind me. As I waited for the light to turn green, the driver continuously honked a very loud horn. In my mirror, I could see her and the passenger waving their hands. I waited for the green, then pulled forward as they made a right turn. I had to wait for the left turn arrow before my light turned green. With all the commotion, it seemed like a long time.

Because of the raised curb, I couldn’t pull over. A truck was to my left. I had nowhere to go but straight ahead.

What should I have done? My street was four lanes and the cross street four lanes. For those of you who know the Denver area, this was on South Santa Fe (PO Danny Dietz Memorial Hwy), speed limit 50 mph. Cross street speed limit at least 40 mph.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

What I would have done is turn right (if I could do so safely), and pull over to the curb around the corner. Otherwise, I'd have sat there like you did. Pulling into oncoming traffic is NOT a good way to go...