Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mississippi Floods



Living in the arid West, floods rarely affect us. These Vicksburg photos were taken last September and three days ago. As I understand, the crest of the current flood is still upriver.

Business takes me to Florida and Alabama several times a year. My favorite way to bypass St. Louis is to head down I-55 to Sikeston, MO then back road to Paducah, KY. Saves about 40 minutes and a lot of aggravation. After watching the levees being blown on TV, decided this wasn't my best option. Terrible decision to be made; farm land and small towns flooded to save Cairo, IL, one of the least attractive places I've seen. Somewhat like the headline, "Tornado hits Aurora (CO), does $5,000,000 in improvements". Might have a different opinion if I lived there.

Those big rivers always impress me. Give me my mountains. Tis a privlage to live in Colorado.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

The power and majesty of rivers is something else, the flooding, just plain scary!!!