Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lose Lips Sink Ships

Overheard a group this morning in a small town convenience store coffee bar area. They were discussing many subjects and all of us in the seating area could clearly hear their conversations. One person seemed to be in law enforcement or an allied field. This person was explaining, in great detail, the local gang situation to include gang names, the areas they claimed as turf, the type of crimes they are committing, etc. Sensitive information; not public knowledge.

The group may well have a need to know this information but I, and the other coffee drinkers, have no need to know. There was enough detail being discussed to provide useful information to the criminals being discussed. My inclination was to go over to the person talking and say, "STFU".

What I did do was take a cell phone picture of the talker. This will be sent to a relative who holds a LEO supervisory position in that county. I imagine someone will receive some intense counseling next week.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, much smarter than a direct confrontation :-) And you DO have proof!

Anonymous said...

Some people just love talking....to much. i hope they grill him

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Or her. My post id deliberately non specific.

Beat And Release said...

Why wouldn't you want to know what gangs are present in your area, their criminal specialties and 'their' turf? An informed citizen (and an armed one) is better than an ignorant citizen. You could probably Google those gangs and get more information than you overheard from the officer.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Your points are excellent. My blog entry was deliberately written to disclosed no details. In fact, many details were mentioned. My relative did receive exact information and was disturbed. I am not trying to get the officer in trouble; just to be more aware. My relative will do a discrete counseling session.

I agree an informed and armed public is a good thing.