Sunday, November 8, 2009

Flying Story

Received an email asking for another flying story from the past. A Super Cub needed to be ferried from a small Wyoming airport to Colorado. My employer purchased it, sight unseen, over the telephone (his common practice). One June morning I was dropped off at the airport to fetch it.

The airport operator wasn't friendly. His attitude I understood. Operating at a small airport was a marginal proposition at best. Losing any airplane based there cut his income. Further, he loathed my employer as he made very clear to me. He refused to give me the SC keys.

The SC was tied down in a plowed rectangle approximately 200' by 500' behind a hanger. Head high snow banks enclosed the tie down area. The only access was through the hanger. When I asked the FBO for access he offered me the use of a shovel.

Failure to complete the job was not an option. Had I called my employer, he would have told me to catch a bus to any destination of my choice. After an hour of deep thought I made a plan.

This being Wyoming, a stiff breeze was blowing. The wind was blowing across the 500' dimension of the tie down area. Using a small tool kit I carried, I removed the key cylinder from the Magneto switch. Leaving the tail tied down, I prop started the SC after a detailed preflight inspection and allowed the engine to idle for several minutes. Untieing the tail, I dragged the tail over to a snow bank and lifted the tail wheel onto the snow bank.

After putting on the seat belt and applying the brakes, I went to full power and adjusted the mixture to compensate for the 6,300' altitude. Releasing the brakes started the takeoff roll. The tail stayed up and I was able to hold a negative angle of attack which helped the acceleration. At about 300' the airspeed indicator started working and I lowered the tail slightly. With about 50' left, ground effect kicked in and we cleared the snow bank easily. Aborting the takeoff was never an option. My plan was bring the stick back hard and bounce over the snow bank. Happily, that wasn't necessary.

Although sorely tempted to give the FBO a good buzz job, I refrained. Given the small world we all operated in, I know there would be a future opportunity to kick his ass. The trip back to our base was pleasant and uneventful.

The Super Cub is a great airplane. Even with 85 h.p. and 6,000+ altitudes it performs well.




5 comments:

Pens Of The abyss said...

Yeah right, i bet you went right in to the snow bank and took very long wet bus ride home....lol!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You are confusing your driving skills with my flying skills. We all know you stay home at the first sign of snow.

Pens Of The abyss said...

Id like to see your flying skills now. I bet the last plane you flew was owned my the wright brothers.

Old NFO said...

Too funny :-) and yes Cubs can do some amazing things!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

No, a Cessna 172 based in Greeley. The kindly gentleman we've both worked for had Skippy take me to Lamar to repo a F350.