Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Weasels and Other Gutless Wonders

Many people I encounter want to "unload" their frustrations on someone else; usually someone not empowered to do anything. These unfortunates must accept being dumped on to keep their jobs. The gutless wonder dumper hasn't the courage to take their complaint up the chain of responsibility. At some level they must know they are weasels, that their actions diminish them, and the person they are dumping on quietly holds them in utter contempt.

Years ago a POS got into my blank checks and spread some $3,200 worth around town. Standing in line at the bank customer service counter with others having the same problem, the woman in front of me was loudly and vulgarly complaining to everyone in earshot. She turned to me and said, "Well, aren't you angry? This is terrible"! My reply, "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will be truly blessed. Terrible is death, illness, house fires and the like. This is an inconvenience. Given time, I'm sure the bank will correct the problem" received nearly hidden smiles from the two young entry level ladies catching the heat. The young ladies have won several promotions. I get superb service at that bank. One son's first car loan was approved there. All but $200 of my money was restored in five days. Good luck to the woman in front of me. The loss of the checks was on me for not securing them and my home; not the bank.

People who won't own their own problems anger me. My mistake is my problem. I own it and deal with it. That being said, I am not a willing or complacent victim. Taking action up the chain of responsibility gives those folks catching heat a perfect reason to get stupid policies changed. They don't need to confront their superiors with a "hey, stupid"; they are "dealing" with a citizen/customer complaint. When I unload, I want to unload on the s.o.b. responsible, not the insulating underlings. When I can't get it done, I call my little sister. Trust me, you don't want to deal with her.

In sales, the rule is 80% of sales are made by 20% of salespeople. Is this the case in other area? 80% of problems are solved by 20% of the people who care? For sure, I want to be among the 20%.

1 comment:

Pens Of The abyss said...

I dont like when your at the local store and there is some biter fuckin person behind the counter complaining about there place of work or personal things. I think business owners would be very stunned to find out what there counter people say to the customers some times.