Monday, April 6, 2009

Obama

Some family members and friends (yes, I do have a few friends) are hurt by my Obama stance. I do respect their position and understand he inspires them and gives them hope for the future. I hope they are right for the sake of this country and the future of my children and grandchildren.
We are a country that has lasted, in part, by having a rule of law; that checks and balances exist. Our system protects minorities from tyranny from majorities (race, religion, political beliefs, sex) and our property from those in power or influence. The system isn't perfect. As an example, what happened with my mother's house and the city hall/developers cabal.
With Bush we had eight years of neo-cons deciding which laws to obey, "signing statements" that circumvented laws passed by Congress, and a lack of interest in enforcing regulations that were in place to prevent our current economic collapse both from the half baked programs of the Clinton era and the unchecked greed of the Bush boosters who grabbed hold of them and ran.
My principal reason for not voting for Obama was his ignoring a Federal judge who ordered him to produce a birth certificate. I loath the kind of person who thinks they are better than the rest of us. Dress it up with any number of legal spins be damned, he should have complied. Once elected, he filled his staff and cabinet with the most odious usual suspects from the Clinton era.
What do I fear? He will turn the country into a large version of Chicago politics. Will his programs work? Can we borrow our way to properity? I can see spending money on infrastructure (roads, bridges, electrical systems) produces many benefits. Giving money to LaRaza and Hamas? Seems stupid to me. Of course, your milage may differ.

No comments: