Monday, February 13, 2023

Life, Day to Day

Sporadic blogging is caused by a mundane life. Other bloggers bring more interesting reading that prompts more critical thinking than what gets posted on this blog. Banner agrees.

Climate Change

Climate change is the result of the fusion furnace our rocky planet orbits. The idea we puny humans can change that is ludicrous. What we humans do is foul our nest. Efforts to prevent or mitigate that should be something most of us support.

That doesn’t stop the control freaks from their ongoing efforts, big and small, to tell us how to live. Danes are now the culprit,

https://scitechdaily.com/pulses-the-climate-friendly-super-food-that-you-probably-havent-even-heard-of/

There’s a growing awareness that meat consumption is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions and reducing it is crucial for a sustainable future.

Nearly every “scientific” article will have some similar blurb. “growing awareness” isn’t the same as “fact”. Opinion, maybe knowledgeable opinion, is still opinion.

Meat consumption?  Almost any animal is, or has been, consumed by predators as long as there has been life on this planet. I doubt the total number of animals has changed appreciably in eons. So, farm animals are to blame? Just in North America, the number of cattle today is probably less than the number of bison two hundred years ago. Bison are cattle.

Arrogance

100 years ago from our local rag.

• At a lawyers’ club meeting in a local restaurant, the lawyers agreed they should discuss issues among themselves. Said one attorney: “The herd instinct is a sign of weakness and not strength. It is very noticeable among physical laborers and other trades of small intelligence.”

Has anything changed?

Kindness and Giving Back

This happened sometime ago in our community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BF6BUry_C0&ab_channel=WonderWorld

The man who made the purchase explained that he was adopted, has a good life, and wants to pay back. 

Balloons

This has already shown up in other blogs.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/02/pentagon-balloons-surveillance-midwest

The Chinese are well known for stealing our technology. Are the recent events Chinese actions? Something else going on? You may draw your own conclusions. For me, I smell a distraction or some type of PSYOP.

Fuck Cancer

We received news this week one of our two surviving aunts is Stage 4 and in hospice. All that will be done will be pain mitigation.

She is the youngest of twelve siblings, eleven who lived to adulthood. Both her parents and five siblings have died from cancer.

RANT: Billions have been spent, and billions more will be spent, worldwide looking for causes and cures. Why haven’t more effective treatments, let alone cures, been found? It is an industry!  Anything out of “mainstream dogma” is crushed and proponents derided.  Yes, my absolute cynicism is on display.

Inflation

Many say inflation is a form of taxation, or acts like a tax.

https://www.aei.org/op-eds/the-inflation-tax-is-not-only-real-its-massive/

I see it as a dastardly tool by the political class to raise taxes without being openly accountable.

Observing the way our economy is heading, it seems like we are in a slot canyon, thunderstorms are nearby, and the roar of rushing water can be heard up the canyon. Where do we run, what wall can we climb, and how do we take our loved ones to safety?

Damned if I know.

Weather

We have had a few nice days with highs in the 40°s. Winter isn’t over and there will be more trips over icy roads. Snowpack in the mountains is far above average. Spring runoff may be a problem in some places but reservoirs should fill more than past years.

Delinquent Mortgages

The assignments keep rolling in with some from lenders new to my assignments. I’m seeing more in the $850,000+ range then in past years. As an aside, those people are often nasty. I always start civilly and politely but if they want to be assholes then they have just found the mother lode.

Recent exchange. “Don’t you ever come back here”.

Response. “When you show up as an assignment, I will be back! Don’t want me here; pay your mortgage”.

That only happens a time or two each month. I rather enjoy it. These people are accustomed to intimidating others and are not prepared for push back. Once, I had one debtor insist I delete the pictures I had taken.

These people are truly shortsighted. I submit a report on every call and attitude is always a part of the report. I assume somewhere the lender’s staff reads the report which may influence how they proceed with the debtor.

Geezer Goggles

My partial collection of slip over glasses. I’ve used them for years. Now the eye doctor says I don’t need glasses for driving. Decisions, decisions! Do I keep using these or buy  Ray-Bans (or cheaper knockoffs)?

As always, YMMV.

    

9 comments:

Old NFO said...

Spend the $$ for QUALITY sunglasses. Just sayin...

Ed Campbell said...

I find your blog pretty damn interesting.

If every steak you eat just pushes back the next ice age by a minute it is well worth it. Fight climate change, fight the ice age, eat meat.

Balloons, first the government did not act at all until the balloon had traversed the entire country. Photos don't bother me so much, you can drive within about 100 yards of a missile silo and the SF probably won't respond. The signals intelligence bothers me a bit though. Who knows what they vacuumed up. Then, secondly, after finally shooting the Chinese balloon down after it had completed its mission we start shooting balloons? down left and right. Seems like now it is just the government saying hey, look at us, we are all gung ho and stuff.

I can do winter as long as the sun is shining. Here in the PNW we are in the freezing fog season and the sun is usually a stranger.

The massive amount of debt scares me. I don't owe any long term bills, house and vehicle are paid for and I pay off my credit cards every month but now it seems like people have to have all the earmarks of success (fancy house, fancy cars, boat, atvs and so on right away without having cash in hand to pay for the goods. If it weren't for them all dragging the rest of the economy down when things go upside down I wouldn't care but people who are still solvent will have to rescue the freeloaders and that won't be any fun at all.

Agree will NFO about the sunglasses. I don't wear glasses yet but I do buy expensive sunglasses simply because the tint in the Serengeti's or Maui Jim's I buy make the deer and other wildlife pop out from the background. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Can't count the number of times where I saw a deer or other critter by the side of the road and slowed down and avoided a near miss or accident.


LL said...

There is so much to respond to. I can't decide. I too pay for quality sunglasses, because when you're cool, the sun shines wherever and whenever you are.

RHT447 said...

Like you I had my eyes overhauled and don't need glasses when out and about. Guess I am the cheapskate of the group. Got these for $12.99 in May of '21--

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQFLQNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still wearing them. Good side wrap, weigh nothing, and adjustable nose pads fit me better. Kinda gives you a "Neo" look. Yeah, I know it says "not available", but at least it gives you an idea.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ed C
Thank you for the compliment and the thought provoking comment about sunglasses. Spotting animals along the road is definitely of interest to me.

Lived in King County for 18 years and did business all over the PNW, wet and dry sides. Fog is my least favorite condition to drive in. How it happens I cannot explain, but I-25 from Cheyenne to Casper in the winter can have blowing snow and fog at the same time.

LL
I could never be SEAL cool, or even Cali cool, but absolutely slay the geezer look. Makes other motorists nervous wondering what the old fart might do next.

Old NFO
You Navy aviators have an image to maintain. That is not to say I won't consider more expensive options.

RHT447
I'm definitely cheap. I need glasses with a solid bridge, having used my nose to punch too many fists. The pads bother me. Last Saturday I visited three local stores looking for non prescription glasses in the strength the eye doctor recommended. I didn't find the exact strength. Sunday, went on Amazon and today four pair of reading glasses (for $20) were at my door. Wednesday a pair for computer use will arrive. Blue filtering, they were $12.

3/3 is another exam so have time to evaluate and make changes if needed.

RHT447 said...

Pretty much the same here. I elected to get lenses with my correction in them and chose the distance option. Couldn't be happier. The big plus for me is that I can once again see the target AND the sights on my lever guns. My doc and I agreed that there wasn't much point in him writing me a prescription as things would likely "settle" with time.

Like you I made the rounds of the stores (CVS, Walgreens, etc.). I just tried different strengths on the rack to read the fine print on the packaging at different distances. I have a pair of blue-blockers for my PC, a reading pair at my desk, another pair for out and about, and two pair of wire frame "granny glasses" for my work bench. One of these gives me razor sharp focus at about 18 inches. Very handy for working on "cordless hole punches".

I also have a small collection of clip-on shades that I obviously no longer need.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

RHT447
I'm no longer a shooter since 2005 when I developed macular degeneration in my right eye. I've since become left eye dominate but still right handed. I got rid of all the long arms to people who can, and do, use them. Three or four times a year I take the revolver to the range and punch holes at 12'. Had a gunsmith add a ghost ring which helps. At 12" I can still put five out of five in center mass but the group isn't anything to brag about.

Wild, wild west said...

I got my cataracts jerked out in 2011 and the first thing afterwards was to by a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers with polarized lenses. They've held up well and I still use them most every day. Worth it, absolutely, do recommend. Also have a cheap pair of shades in each car, for when I get in a hurry and forget the Ray Bans.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

WWW
I will wait a few weeks before deciding. thanks for sharing.