Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dating After Divorce

Dating after the end of a twenty two year marriage was difficult for me. Some of the “dates” were scary. I’ve been challenged to tell at least one dating story.

Friends invited me to a country western bar, the Silver Spur, to be exact. The promise was an introduction to one of their friends who would meet us there. The evening went as planned and their friend was easy on the eyes. She also drank much more than the rest of the group. As the evening winded down, she asked me to drive her home as she had a couple of DUIs and couldn’t risk another. Anticipation?

She gave me the name of the Mobile Home Estate where she lived. I knew the place. As we drove there, she passed out. When we arrived, I couldn’t get her to wake up. I finally went into her purse and found an address on some mail. Using that I found her unit. The keys in her purse unlocked the door. Now what? Did she live alone? Was a husband/boyfriend/significant other going to come out of a back bedroom and blow me away? She had a porch with two lawn chairs. I fireman carried her from the car and deposited her in one of the chairs. Still out.

Finally, I tossed her purse and keys inside and left her sitting there. It was summer so she wouldn’t freeze. Sitting up, should she vomit, there was a good chance she wouldn’t choke. Yes, chivalry was dead.

Never spoke to her again. The sad part of the story is, that was my best date that month.

6 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

LMAO. I found your blog through a couple that you follow as well. I just got divorced after 22 years as well. I'm no where near ready for a date, but yours sounded awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Old NFO said...

Been there, had one damn near that bad...sigh... Mine kept calling me by some other guy's name all night...

Home on the Range said...

My best was a date with a fellow who after a really nice evening said. "Wow you like planes and guns and cooking and camping". You'd be perfect for me if you were young!. I was 42. He was 53.

Survey Says! (loud buzzer).

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Another problem is my goal of not dating anyone crazier than myself.

FDIL said...

Yeah... You only marry the ones that are crazier than you are! Not dating anyone crazier than yourself doesn't leave a whole lot of options!! LOL Good thing your son didn't inherit the crazy!!! LUV YA LOTS!!!!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

FDIL

Not dating someone crazier than myself makes 90% of the female population eligible. The other 10% is marriage material.

The real question, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, is would I want to be seen in public with anyone who would go out with me?

All my sons are not wrapped real tight.