Friday, January 29, 2010

The Yah But Choir

Old Joke. Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig. A recent experience reinforces my joy in being retired from herding cats. Advice was asked for and given. The response was, "Yah, but that doesn't exactly apply here because.." Few things piss me off quicker. There have been occasions when I fired those uttering that phrase on the spot.

Here is the deal, sport. It is not my job to be an analytical engineer or lawyer and form a custom answer to account for every nit picking detail YOU can imagine. Your job is to take the information and YOU apply it to your silly little problem. The effort will allow you to more clearly understand your problem and take ownership (and responsibility) of the solution.

There is usually one of two motives on the part of the person asking advice. The first, rare, is a genuine quest for useful information. The more common reason is to set up an opportunity to bitch and moan; to transfer the problem to someone else; and to invite others to a "pity party".

In reviewing the above, once again the message is sugar coated and diluted. My apologies. That is a problem I need to work on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah right you love not sugar coating, dont apologies.

Old NFO said...

Ah, yes... the yeahbut choir... sigh... Since I've never been know for couth and tact, I don't get asked too much anymore :-)

Anonymous said...

Your teeth are going to start rotting from all the sugar in your mouth. Step up and let the world know what is TRULY on your mind. I know you have one.

Sisty

Anonymous said...

He is really a nice guy all around....but i promise i wont tell no one