Friday, March 5, 2010

More Evil Car Salesmen Stories

Received a complaint my blog needs to lighten up and post another car lot story.

In 1986, Suzuki introduced the Somersault, er, Samurai, to the Seattle area. The only transmission was a manual. Seattle had at the time a large Asian immigrant population and all wanted automatics. A typical incoming phone call went like this. “Ah, you got Samurai $5995”? “Yes Sir” “Ah, you got automatic”?

We had a new hire who was not lacking self esteem. He made a bold statement, his first day, that he would now be the “Salesman of the Month”, every month. Either Byron or myself had that title from the first month the store opened. We decided to help him out.

“Ah, you got Samurai $5995? “Yes Sir!” Ah, you got automatic”? “Yes Sir, are you looking at our ad”? “Write my name down on the ad and bring it to me. I am the only one who knows where the automatics are stored.” “Ah, yes. What you name”? “Bob”.

Poor Bob, he never did make Salesman of the Month, even with all the extra prospects who asked for him.

A few years later, Bob and I were both at the Ford store. The advertisement hook at the time was zero down (it was a lease). One day a call came in that I, at first, thought was a prank. The call went something like this. “Ize qualifies, Ize got no money. Ize need me the ride to get the job. I get me the job, I can make the strokes, you understand”? Soon the caller had a firm appointment with Bob, the only one in the store who could do that kind of financing.

A few hours later I hear a voice behind me, “Tank, you blank blank blank” “Bob”, I answered, “What’s up”? Why he thought I had set him up instead of the thirty others in the store who disliked him, I can’t explain. (Not that I much cared)

Yes, car salesmen are a cruel, evil bunch.

2 comments:

Pens Of The abyss said...

Curl? evil? Or Cheap,lazy ? maybe all of the above...lol

Old NFO said...

hehehe- What ever breaks up the boredom, right? Good story!