Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Precinct Caucus

Attended my precinct caucus last night. Typical Democrat meeting; unorganized and argumentative. Colorado has 3,247 Precincts. All political processes start at this level.

A fellow Blue Dog and I met earlier and plotted strategy. We have two regular attendees who think Obama is a conservative. We were determined to thwart them. A total of seven delegates to county, Congressional district, and state conventions were selected. We were able to control the slate. Only one ultra lib got selected.

The various proposed “planks” for the party “platform” were debated. My friend and I were able to kill all but two leftist proposals and modify several more. We were able to get a positive vote on all but one “conservative” proposal.

One of three primary candidates for the State Representative seat is from our precinct. It was interesting to see the candidate lose control and get angry when things didn’t go as the candidate wanted. Something to ponder when voting in the primary. If you lose control in a meeting of twelve people, what are you going to do at the state level?

With 3,247 Precincts in Colorado, the impact of my fellow Blue Dog and I, isn’t even a pimple on the donkey’s ……… If two Blue Dogs were involved in say 3,000 Precincts, the impact would matter. Our involvement took about five hours. Two hours of plotting and three at the caucus.

The State Senator from my district lives in an adjacent precinct. She leans in the Brady direction on gun issues. I have a cordial relationship with her and her husband. When the the time comes, I will be able to make a case with her and know I will get a fair hearing.

Unless you travel a lot, most people can invest five hours in impacting the political process. Please get involved.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

WSF- YOU DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE... You took the time to actually attend and do something, that is more than most will do... Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Did you play nice?

M

Well Seasoned Fool said...

NFO Thank you!

M Don't I always play nice?

Anonymous said...

No!

M