Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Blood From A Turnip

Collection company letter arrived today claiming I owed a cell phone carrier. Called them and found this “bill” was from September 2004. I was in Fullerton, CA when the phone puked. They (QWEST) had closed all their retail stores. A Verizon store was three blocks away. I’ve been with Verizon since then. Don’t like them but the job gets done. QWEST was paid including their early termination fee. Can I prove it? Not without a lot of research.

Earlier this year, another collection firm tried to collect for a long distance carrier I never used. Again, the bill was five years old.

I think these things are scams. These collection companies buy up these old debts and/or accounting/billing errors and start their process. A certain number of people will pay. In this state (CO), the Attorney General’s Office has an online complaint form. The office does take action. In the case of the long distance bill, the collection firm sent me an apology letter.

A friend said, “Why not just pay it and be done with it? The amount isn’t worth the aggravation”. Good point, but not my nature. Damn the torpedos, etc.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That is what they are counting on... those too lazy to fight it! Good on ya!