Monday, August 21, 2017

Survived!


Wyoming will never see another traffic day like today. I-25 going North, both lanes full, bumper to bumper. What joy, I experienced it for 118 miles.

I skipped US 26 through Guernsey and Ft. Laramie. Too many federal, state, and local campgrounds. Using back roads, went from Wheatland to Lingle, NE. This route is county roads and includes eight miles of dirt road. No problem when it is dry, like today, but in a car you can't disable traction control in mud it is a formula for stranding.

This morning most of the drivers were probably sober and highly caffeinated. This afternoon? Tired, cranky, a few beers, and driving South into the sun may make things 'interesting'.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

And all those drivers survived you!!!

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Their lucky day.

Old NFO said...

Ouch, don't envy you that drive back.

drjim said...

One of my blog buddies and his wife took their motorhome from Wickenberg, AZ up to a campground in Casper to see it. They got to the campground yesterday morning and said traffic was nuts then.

Ami said...

Glad you made it out alive. And glad I stayed home to watch the eclipse.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The way my route is laid out, I was headed South out of Scottsbluff nearly two hours before the event, thankfully. The early am drive was bad enough.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

One thing I noticed was very few big rigs on the road.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Staying home was a good plan. If it wasn't my job, I would have stayed home.

Coffeypot said...

Did my comment go through? My laptop went gonky all of a sudden.

Momma Fargo said...

Ha. Crazy traffic on land and in air. Apparently over 1 million came. Nutso, but the state handled it very well.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Didn't see one.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

People on my route today had a 1,000 yard stare.