Saturday, November 3, 2018

Vehicle Anti-Theft Device That Works


The subject of car thefts prompted many responses over at Peter Grant’s blog.


The picture is something that works. I know from personal experience.

In 2005, while staying at a motel in Fullerton, CA I decided to do my laundry. Turned out the office had just been robbed and the place was on lock down. Returning to my room, I was surprised to find all four doors on my Lincoln Towncar ajar. The “club” I always used was twisted sideways but still functioning as designed.
Fords were easily unlocked and started with a “slap key” that were available from an ex con who learned all about them in jail. One was jammed into the Lincoln ignition.

These clubs lock the brake pedal on automatics and the clutch on manual transmission equipped vehicles. I own three or four. For around $50 at many auto parts stores and many online sources, they are a cheap but effective deterrent.  (Just to be clear, they won’t stop the repo man)

Two notes of caution. Find a way to secure it while you are driving. That is not something you want flying around in an accident. In my Lincolns, I slid it under the driver’s seat and secured it with a rubber bungee cord. In my regular cab truck it goes behind the seat.

Check the width of the brake pedal arm. A few (Ford Contour comes to mind) are too wide to use these devices without some fiddling.

As always, YMMV.

5 comments:

commoncents said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Old NFO said...

Yes they do. And yes it does piss off the thieves. They cut a friend of mine's leather upholstery after they couldn't steal the car in a fit of rage.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Hope they cut themselves doing it.

Anonymous said...

It also makes a very effective weapon.

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Shhhhhh!